PDA

View Full Version : Manual fuel pump question

bchene
09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Series III 2.25 gas with a mechanical pump. Have tried two mechanical pumps in this engine. Both will pump fuel using manual lever, will not pump with engine running. Maybe I am losing it, but, I did not think it was possible to install a pump wrong OR that a cam could be worn enough to not actuate the pump. Can you install the pump and have it not hit the cam?????

Bob

LR Max
09-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Can we get a bit more information? Is the fuel bowl filling up? How do you know its not pumping?

If you are having fuel delivery issues, I'd recommend you check all the fuel lines. First tighten all the connections then blow them out (compressed air is good for this...rather than your face). I've had numerous fuel delivery issues simply because the line was blocked or something was loose, causing the fuel pump to suck air rather than fuel.

I Leak Oil
09-24-2013, 10:01 AM
The prime lever pumps far more fuel than the operating lever does. So you get fuel manually but not while it runs so there is certainly something wrong. A worn cam lobe, while not out of the question, is possible but not likely. Worn operating lever is possible. As Max said, sucking air or a blockage is most likely the culpret.

ArlowCT
09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
One fuel pump I had used a spacer block under it. When I swapped pumps I carried that over to the new pump. The new pump had a shorter arm on it and didn't reach the cam. Took the spacer out and it work fine until all the other mechanical pump issues drove me to a electric pump. With today's gas it's a real good way to go!

cedryck
09-25-2013, 01:19 PM
I have heard from experienced roverphiles, (more so than my 15 years,) that oem and proline are not the best product in the world. In all due respect to both manufacutuers, sometimes this is true. We have all purchesed products that just don't last. This experienced person suggested keeping an electric fuel pump in the truck, "just in case" and you can tap into the fuse box, quite easily, with regard to my own experience, I have 7600 miles on a new manual pump with no problems, moves fuel fine.

LR Max
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM
I have heard from experienced roverphiles, (more so than my 15 years,) that oem and proline are not the best product in the world. In all due respect to both manufacutuers, sometimes this is true. We have all purchesed products that just don't last. This experienced person suggested keeping an electric fuel pump in the truck, "just in case" and you can tap into the fuse box, quite easily, with regard to my own experience, I have 7600 miles on a new manual pump with no problems, moves fuel fine.

True. I always carry a spare fuel pump. Lord knows when they will strike and leave you dead in your tracks.

stomper
09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
I recall Hammond from Top Gear hand pumping his fuel pump from inside the car while driving. I forget if it was an English car.

cedryck
09-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Good Idea to carry a spare, they are not that expensive and the swap as you know is easy enough roadside. I have look in old part of pumps I have and it would not take much to disable the flow, maybe a couple of small pinholes,

pyounts
10-01-2013, 09:44 PM
With an electric pump, do you just bypass the mechanical one?

stomper
10-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Yes, But you need to put a blanking plate over the engine block where the mechanical pump is currently.

ArlowCT
10-02-2013, 06:44 AM
You can bypass it and leave it in the block if you don't have a cover plate.