PDA

View Full Version : Chassis dimension question

DGG
10-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Sorry about another novice question. There will be more to come as I'm doing a frame off restoration of my 1961 109 station wagon. Is the length of a 109 regular, and 109 station wagon chassis the same? I got a great deal on a galvanized regular 109 chassis that I'm building my station wagon on. I plan on changing some brackets, and the rear gas tank crossmember to make it a station wagon chassis. Thank you.

I Leak Oil
10-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Yes. You'll have no real issues using it. Salemrover recently converted his regular to a 5 door and can give you more detail as to what he had to change. It was nothing major IIRC.

SafeAirOne
10-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Having gone the other way, I can say that lengthwise, they are the same but there are, of course, other differences, mostly body-mounting and tub-support related.

DGG
10-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Having gone the other way, I can say that lengthwise, they are the same but there are, of course, other differences, mostly body-mounting and tub-support related.

That's what I'm working on now. I'm putting some body parts on to see where brackets need to be. As I was doing that, I test fit the right T-Piece with the rear tub on, and the T-Piece seemed too long. I noticed that the bulk-head is not reaching the frame to bulkhead bracket by about an 3/4 of an inch, and that is about how much I am off with the T-piece. I probably need to move the bulkhead forward on the right side by that much. Don't know how that happened.

I'm using a new T-piece that was sold as being for a 109 or a 110. Maybe the T-piece is a little long also. I want to get all the brackets right, and modify the fuel tank cross member before I start running brake lines, fuel lines, and electric.

First, I have to teach myself to MIG weld.

SafeAirOne
10-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Perhaps one of these will be helpful to you:

1) From TeriAnn's site: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/AcrobatFiles/109CoachbuildersDrawingLARGE.jpg

2) or, this diagram from the bible:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/10123218453_6404dcc88e_b.jpg

DGG
10-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I have that diagram in my workshop manual and just noticed that it said 109 "models". Thanks. Lets hope the 110 is the same or my t- piece is not going to fit very easily.

166.9 inches