PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting...Coil Resistance?

jdesigns2001
10-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I am having a hard time getting my SII to start. I had been driving it earlier in the day and it was running good. It stalled at idle in the driveway out of the blue and I have had a heck of a time getting it to fire back up even with starting fluid. I could get it to run a few times, but then it would just stall if I let off the throttle and not start back. I am wondering if there may be a problem with the coil?

Can anyone tell me what the coil resistance should be for a 2.25?

I am getting a reading of 2.8 ohms and 5,450 ohms.

I am getting a spark, but cant tell if it is weak.

triumphtr7guy
10-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Start with the voltage to the coil, see if it is at least 12 volts from the leads going into the coil.
Do you have an inline spark tester? these plug into the wires and have a bulb that flashes as the juice comes thru the wire, if not you can put a screw driver, usually Phillips head fits best, into the end of the coil wire that goes to the cap, holding the screwdriver just above somethig metal, have someone turnover the ignition and see what you get, be careful not to ground yourself or you will know it, then check the same from each of the plug wires, if you do this spark test in the shade, the spark shows up better!! watch to see if you see any difference in the spark.
couple of questions==

How old is the coil, original equipment??

How old is the cap and rotor ?

How old are the plug wires? try starting in the dark and watch the engine bay, if it looks like R2-D2 getting zapped, time to change them.
Good luck, Bruce

triumphtr7guy
10-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Keep forgetting, Landies have points!!! check the points to see if the gap is set properly, if they have closed up, will get the symptoms that you describe, good luck, Bruce