PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak MK4 low function not working

kwells
10-12-2013, 09:47 AM
The high setting works fine when I pull the switch to the second position but the low setting does not turn the fan on at all. Any help??? :confused:

east high
10-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Mine's always been the same way. I think it might have a cracked board or a bad resistor.

TeriAnn
10-14-2013, 10:06 AM
The Kodiaks have a single speed blower motor.

High speed is full voltage going through the switch to the motor.

Low speed puts a resister in series with the motor which provides less voltage to the motor. The motor turns slower. You could have a bad connection in the switch or the resister could be bad. It is VERY common for these resisters to burn out.

Sorry I do not know the resistance and power rating of the low speed resister.

KSMTAW
12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Hello,

Can you please tell me where the resistor is located and if a new one can be purchased.

Thanks

I Leak Oil
12-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Should be integral with the switch mechanism. I replaced mine with a two position pull heater switch from NAPA. Mounts in the same place and functions the same.

kwells
12-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Should be integral with the switch mechanism. I replaced mine with a two position pull heater switch from NAPA. Mounts in the same place and functions the same.

So you didnt keep the original switch and just converted to a toggle?

I Leak Oil
12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
No. The replacement switch is a 2 speed generic pull switch meant to be used on blower motors. It is NOT a regular toggle switch.

darbsclt
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
If it helps, this is the one I used to replace my Mark 3 heater switch. To the best of my understanding it is the same as the original (though I can't comment on whether the same is true for the Mk4).

http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/143/68028/

I Leak Oil
12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
That's essentially the same as what I bought at NAPA.

Cevan
12-18-2013, 06:38 AM
The switch on my Mark III was missing the resistor so I used a pulse width modulator I picked up on Ebay. Now I have variable speed control. Much nicer in my opinion. I also picked up a new blower motor at Napa. They had it in stock!

luckyjoe
12-18-2013, 08:18 AM
When I installed my Mk.IV, I didn't have (not did I want) the Kodiak control panel, cables and switch. Below the instrument panel I have two push-pull cable to operate the water vale and fresh air flap (they sit right next to, and inline with, the factory choke cable). For the motor I used a Lucas toggle switch available from our host. Since the Mk.IV fresh air intake feeds from the front grill, this forced air is my low speed (it's dead quiet too!). If I need to fill the 109's void with hot air, I flip the switch!

Everything I need without cluttering up the metal dash!