PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil Options

jdesigns2001
10-16-2013, 06:57 AM
I have gone through 2 of the Lucas Coils in the past 10 years. Maybe this is normal or there is some other issue with my ignition system, I'm not sure. I am thinking I will try my luck with a non-Lucas coil. I am really hoping to find something that I can pick up at the local parts store. If I go with a different coil, do you know if I will need to re-gap the plugs? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good coil that I can get locally?

Thanks in advance!

mearstrae
10-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Pretty much any high quality (Brand Name) coil will work. Just be sure they sell you a "Points" coil and not an "Electronic Ign" coil. I'm using an Accel high performance, high voltage on mine. No changes should be needed in either point or plug gap.

'96 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

SafeAirOne
10-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Careful--all coils aren't the same. The primary windings on different coils have different resistances built in. Find out what the correct ohm value of the primary circuit should be for the engine and get the correct coil, lest you begin having other ignition problems (overheating/melted coil, burned ignition points, etc.) as a result of using the wrong coil.

Check the posts by 'Bubbas Ignition' for some good information on coils here: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21781

jdesigns2001
10-16-2013, 05:05 PM
So does anyone know the proper resistance for the 2.25 set up?

I Leak Oil
10-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Yup, the wrong coil can cause problems. I think the rover ignition system is a 3 ohm coil. I bought one from NAPA in a snow storm some 15 years ago and it's still working well. (knock on wood)

That same snow storm is when I decided to ditch the stupid generator too! Lights on, both wiper motors and heat blasting = bad mojo!

east high
10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
That same snow storm is when I decided to ditch the stupid generator too! Lights on, both wiper motors and heat blasting = bad mojo!

Best upgrade, IMO.

I Leak Oil
10-16-2013, 05:51 PM
That and comfy seats.

stomper
10-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Napa model 905 is what I am running with standard dizzy and points. It is a 12V coil that says "no external resistor required" printed on the side.

stomper
10-16-2013, 08:02 PM
The part number on the box says it is napa part number IC64.

pitchrollyaw
10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I had the same issue w/ new Lucas coils on my Tr6 and I went to Bosch coils on the toys. The Bosch "Blue" coil is correct for the Series, but not all Blue coils are the same, apparently Bosch may have several versions or suppliers. Pegasus Racing has the tried-n-true classic ones. Nice setup w/ a Pertronix.