PDA

View Full Version : D90 Chassis and 200tdi under a Series IIa

fxk142
10-17-2013, 02:33 PM
So what needs to be modified to the body to make this work?

Thinking New D90 Galvanized chassis with the 200tdi mounts already in it. Axles and trans will changes too.

o2batsea
10-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Cut off all the outriggers on the 90 frame and weld on Series outriggers (Pegasus Parts in the UK or several other sources). Cut off the rear third of the chassis and install straight box channel or weld on tub supports. Take about 1 3/4 out of the middle of the chassis rails just in front of the trailing arm mounts reweld, and add diamond shaped scabbing. OR, modify the tub to add the same length just behind the door. Driveshaft length alert! Cut off the radiator and grille mounting tabs, wing mounting tabs. Fabricate a bracket arrangement for the radiator support panel (breakfast). Fabricate transmission support cross member. Weld on gas tank support outriggers.
Modify seat box and tunnel cover. Figure out whether you're going to use P38 steering or RRC/Disco 1 steering box (advantages/disadvantages with both) and hack the wings and radiator support as needed. If RRC steering, you will have to completely re-engineer the entire radiator/intercooler. If P38 you can avoid that to some extent but there are still challenges in the engine bay. Allow for shock tower relief on LH wing. Configure power steering adaptation from Series steer shaft to power steer shaft. Pedal tower for boosted brakes. Cut wing relief for booster. Cut bulkhead for pedal travel.
Modify electrics for 200 Tdi glow circuit and stop solenoid. Modify transmission brake lever for cable pull.
I'm probably forgetting a lot.

If you want to see what all this looks like, go see my build thread on Defendersource ('course mine isn't an 88, it's a 5 door). I'm two years in, and almost at the end.