PDA

View Full Version : My latest gumption trap

jcutler
10-19-2013, 05:13 PM
'58 SII 88"....

Here's the scenario: restored bulkhead, new Marsland chassis (really a SIII I guess), restored original steering column and box with the original mounting plate, hardware, etc.

Here's the problem: the steering column will come no closer than about 3/4 of an inch from the top half of the clamp on the interior, where it emerges from the dash. I can't seem to do anything to bring it closer. All the fasteners are slack, the steering arm is disconnected. I'm stumped.

Anybody ever encounter this? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, as always....

Revtor
10-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I know rovers are pretty much meccano sets, but putting a '58 body on a S3 frame might have brought a few things out of alignment? Bulkhead resto botched?

~Stv

jcutler
10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
I know rovers are pretty much meccano sets, but putting a '58 body on a S3 frame might have brought a few things out of alignment? Bulkhead resto botched?

~Stv

No, I don't think there's a problem with the bulkhead; virtually nothing needed to be done to it except blasting and painting. And as far as I know the frames are interchangable. I'd be more suspicious that I got a bum frame.

morgant
10-21-2013, 06:35 AM
I know those chassis are listed as Series IIA-III only, but the kit from our hosts to make them compatible with the Series II (http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAKS2A) only provides additional hardware for different hand brake mounting. I can't recall from the IIA bulkhead I just stripped of my galvanized chassis a couple months ago, were there any shims that you might've missed?

jcutler
10-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I know those chassis are listed as Series IIA-III only, but the kit from our hosts to make them compatible with the Series II (http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAKS2A) only provides additional hardware for different hand brake mounting. I can't recall from the IIA bulkhead I just stripped of my galvanized chassis a couple months ago, were there any shims that you might've missed?

I don't think so... with a little fiddling, I think it turns out to be a relatively minor increase in the size of the holes in the upright that is needed along with some more shims. Hopefully I won't find out that the doors, fenders, and rear tub don't line up...

Thanks for the advice.