PDA

View Full Version : Brake line fittings?

DGG
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Could I buy brake line fittings for my 61 109 station wagon at NAPA? What do I ask for? They sell the copper/nickel 3/16ths tubing, and I want to try to make the brake lines myself. Thanks.

morgant
10-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I often seem to be the odd man out and haven't found a NAPA location that's convenient for me, so I can't speak on their offerings. I've had good luck with FedHill's British/Girling selection (http://store.fedhillusa.com/britishgirlingbrakelinenutsandfittings.aspx). It's at least a good reference for what parts you may need.

o2batsea
10-22-2013, 07:07 AM
FedHill highly recommended x2.

DGG
10-22-2013, 07:19 AM
FedHill highly recommended x2..

I checked them out. Looks good. What size fittings? Are all the brake fittings the same size? I noticed that the clutch and brake masters have larger fittings, along with the female fitting that goes to the bottom of the resevoir.
Thanks.

DGG
10-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Oh, and about the flares. Double or bubble? Pulling off all the old brake lines and fittings, I've seen mostly doubles, but some bubbles. Bubble flare at the clutch master.

o2batsea
10-22-2013, 07:36 AM
All are DIN flare. The clutch one is a regular inverse flare. I think the brake one is too if you have the remote tin can reservoir to the MC.
I bought the Eastwood flare tool. I found it on ebay for $89 new.

DGG
10-22-2013, 08:21 AM
All are DIN flare. The clutch one is a regular inverse flare. I think the brake one is too if you have the remote tin can reservoir to the MC.
I bought the Eastwood flare tool. I found it on ebay for $89 new.

Great. Thanks so much.

TeriAnn
10-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Could I buy brake line fittings for my 61 109 station wagon at NAPA? What do I ask for? They sell the copper/nickel 3/16ths tubing, and I want to try to make the brake lines myself. Thanks.

NO! Absolutely not

You have British spec fittings which are incompatible with US spec fittings. They will interconnect but are not safe to use. The British male fitting has a long snout ahead of the threads. The American one does not. When you screw an American male fitting into a British female fitting the American fitting will screw all the way in but the flare will not seat. When you screw a British male fitting into an American female fitting, the flare will seat with only one or two threads holding the parts together.

You can buy British fittings and use them on American lines. What I did was buy new British fittings from Rovers North and steel line from my local auto parts shop. I would cut one flare off the pre-made American brake line, remove the American fittings & replace with the British fittings. bend the line to shape, cut to length and make a new flare. That way I was able to start with straight lengths of tubing so the finished part would look nice and I used the correct fittings to go with the various cylinders and the brass junction fittings.

But never ever mix British and American spec fittings Your insurance will not cover your accident costs and you will always be at fault.

DGG
10-22-2013, 01:46 PM
NO! Absolutely not

You have British spec fittings which are incompatible with US spec fittings. They will interconnect but are not safe to use. The British male fitting has a long snout ahead of the threads. The American one does not. When you screw an American male fitting into a British female fitting the American fitting will screw all the way in but the flare will not seat. When you screw a British male fitting into an American female fitting, the flare will seat with only one or two threads holding the parts together.

You can buy British fittings and use them on American lines. What I did was buy new British fittings from Rovers North and steel line from my local auto parts shop. I would cut one flare off the pre-made American brake line, remove the American fittings & replace with the British fittings. bend the line to shape, cut to length and make a new flare. That way I was able to start with straight lengths of tubing so the finished part would look nice and I used the correct fittings to go with the various cylinders and the brass junction fittings.

But never ever mix British and American spec fittings Your insurance will not cover your accident costs and you will always be at fault.

Thanks TeriAnn. I think while doing a search here on "brake fittings" I came across a post where you mention that, and that sounds like a geat way of doing it. Does NAPA not sell the 3/8" 24 unf non- threaded lead male connectors, and the 3/8" 24 unf female connectors. I have a NAPA very close to me so its more convenient. If the don't carry them, the ill order from our hosts or fed hill. Depending on the overall cost of things, I might just go with the automec kit.

I Leak Oil
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
NAPA online has a ton of info but you may have to dig a little.

luckyjoe
10-23-2013, 07:58 AM
i was in my local NAPA the other day, and had rather confusing discussion about fittings. Once I mentioned the British LR, he walked me over to a store display that did in fact have lengths of steel brake pie with the proper fitting on them. He said they also have the fitting in stock. I have a nice brake flaring tool, and I'll keep an assortment of fitting and some line on-hand, but it's nice to know NAPA has something in an emergency.

I already ordered some Fedhill fittings, but I did pick-up 25ft. of the NAPA copper-nickel brake line - on sale for $40! Might be a good time to get it or stock-up.

SafeAirOne
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I already ordered some Fedhill fittings, but I did pick-up 25ft. of the NAPA copper-nickel brake line - on sale for $40! Might be a good time to get it or stock-up.

That's a pretty good price, from what I've seen!

cedryck
10-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Fed Hill is awsome, the gentleman spent nearly an hour on the phone with me years ago. Bought the cam operated flare tool works great. Has what any British car owner needs.

DGG
10-23-2013, 03:36 PM
So I'm putting in an order with fed hill. I'm going to buy all the proper brake fittings for the lines and the master cylinder. I need to know the size for the male fittings that go into the the brake master and clutch master cylinders, and the female connector that goes to the bottom of the resevoir. I have the plastic resevoir. Thank you all for the help.
Doug