PDA

View Full Version : Idle is too strong

gogo34
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
After searching through what seems like 759 postings on this forum concerning idle problems, I'm still stumped. My '69 engine with Rochester carb in the IIa idles way too high and I can't get it to slow down. I've tried screwing in the idle screw at the back of the carb and it doesn't appear to have any effect, even when screwed all the way in. I've fidgeted with the carb, the ignition timing and the dizzy and I can certainly make it worse but, I can't find any combination that makes it any better.

Because the idle screw isn't having any effect, I figured I was getting air in around one/all of the gaskets at the various carb and/or manifold interfaces. I've sprayed carb cleaner all around there while it's running but, I guess because it's running so high, I don't seem to notice any appreciable difference, as if there was a leak.

It seems to run fine except when I'm shifting and or sitting at idle at a light. There's no backfiring and it cuts off great when I turn the key off. I've replaced the ignition coil and have a Pertronix conversion kit on order. It should be here any day now. I'm hoping that helps at least a little. If not, I understand it's still an upgrade to the points so all's not lost.

I guess I'm contributing to post 760 on this topic but. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions or usual suspects?

Thanks.

mearstrae
10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Let me see, out for rich, in for lean. Check the needle and seat on this, you may have a broken needle tip or damaged seat, making it impossible to set the idle mixture. Put a vacume guage on and see what it tells you.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

redmondrover
10-29-2013, 12:30 PM
There is also an adjustable tension spring on the throttle linkage that caused the same problem on my series II.

gogo34
11-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Redmondrover, YOU THE MAN! That was it. The throttle linkage was stuck and was keeping the throttle open just enough to make it run rough. A little WD40 and some readjustment and it's WAY better. When I get the Pertronix thrown in there, it'll run like a top.

I guess it's true what they say "it takes a village to rebuild a Rover!" Thanks!

SafeAirOne
11-02-2013, 12:14 AM
I guess it's true what they say "it takes a village to rebuild a Rover!" Thanks!

They ran out of NEW problems on series Rovers about 45 years ago. Since then, it's been the same old problems happening to generations of new people.

If something's happened to your rover, it's guaranteed to have happened to someone else's before. The nice thing about these boards is that there are plenty of "someone else's" around to share their lessons.