PDA

View Full Version : 2.25L Ser III timing chain link

TJR
06-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Last night I was stripping down my 2.25L engine in order to get it ready for its planned rebuild. I needed to remove the timing chain and tensioner in order to get the crank out. When I released tension on the chain and started to remove it, I noticed a timing chain link sliding out since it did not have a sideplate. It was as though the timing chain had a "master link" and the side plate was missing? Other observations such as the dimples left in the forward face of the crank, just behind the crank timing gear, indicate it had been this way for a while. I'm amazed it never came apart. I haven't recoverd the missing piece yet?

Has anyone else come across this situation before?

I can't guartantee this specific chain was a genuine LR part. Years ago when my father owned this rig, he had work done on it to replace the timing gear set since the original set was quite sloppy. Apparantly It was so loose it jumped time and had been vibrating obnoxiously against the insided of the timing cover making one hell of a noise at certain RPMs. I know the work was performed at a non-Landrover garage so that makes me suspicious. Part would have come from Atlantic british or RN..since those were the only two acts in town back then

..Talbot ,

Southern Maine

Tim Smith
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I've never replaced a 2.25 chain before, but some motors actually need you to press the "master link" together on installation so that you'd never recognize it from the rest of the chain again... Very different from a bicycle chain.

Could it be that they didn't press it enough and the side cap fell off some where down the road? Side cap then falls into one of the oil passages, into the pan. And then on the first oil change, the "observant" mechanic didn't put two and two together so no one ever was the wiser? Or even worse, it was ground up in the chain gearing, so no one could even have seen the cap?

I'd say your motor has made it's peace with Murphy. Count your blessings!