PDA

View Full Version : Negative ground conversion question

mrmurray
10-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Hello again, when converting a Series IIa from positive ground (factory) to negative ground, do you have to be concerned that the starter will run backwards? Just to confirm, what direction should the starter turn the engine?
Thank you!
Mike

o2batsea
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
no.

Les Parker
10-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Starter will spin the same way regardless of the ground configuration.
Remember to polarize the generator when you change from +ve to -ve ground, also swap the coil and ammeter wires.

:)

antichrist
10-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Here are Alan Richter's instructions.
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.elec_positive_ground.html

Les Parker
10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Tom, for the link.

:)

gwmaxhunter
11-03-2013, 10:44 PM
HI, to change from positive ground to neg ground......do this.....1-switch leads on ammeter(2 wires).......2-switch low voltage leads on coil.....3-disconnect small (F) wire on generator-(Field).....4-install bat......5-spark positive to F (Field) this re polarizes generator then reconnect the F (Field) wire....6-attach starter wire to positive............and done! ........................also or take a chevy 3 wire alternator 1-hacksaw a bottom chunk of aluminum off just right so fan belt lines up...(perfect !)...get,make,borrow,find a top adjustable arm for this set up......2-big wire to battery.......the other 2 smaller wires connect one of them to the positive battery and listen if alternator makes a high pitched sound then that terminal goes to key on power! if no noise then it goes to the positive side on the battery.....the terminal that doesn't make any noise when connected to positive then it goes to the positive side of the battery or connect it to the big positive terminal on the alternator. I connect mine to the positive side of the alternator because my 1800W power inverter throws a trouble code otherwise when i rev it up....doing it this way provides a more constant stable voltage of power that my inverter likes.........so ok what ever makes it happy:thumb-up: