PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Light

IIA
10-29-2013, 11:12 AM
My 1970 IIA has a "cold start" light on the speedometer near the high beam light, but I've never seen it go on, even when it's cold out and I'm using the choke. What does it indicate?

east high
10-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Is it hooked up? That light works by way of an electrical switch mounted at the linkage on the carb. I think it's more of a "you left the choke on" than it is "it's cold out, you should use the choke" thing.

SafeAirOne
10-29-2013, 11:37 AM
I can tell you about it's operation on a SIII. I think late IIAs are the same, though someone will correct me if they aint:

If you have a look under the hood, you'll see the choke cable going from the driver's firewall to the carb. On that choke cable there'll be a little rectangular box with 2 electric wires plugged into it. Looks like this:

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/R/RTC/RTC5816.jpg

Anyhow, when you pull on the choke cable, it closes the switch and electricity flows from the circuit breaker panel, through the cold start bulb, through the switch and on to ground. Obviously, when you push the choke back in, the switch opens and the circuit is broken and the cold start bulb goes out.

Earlier models were a little more complicated, believe it or not.

mearstrae
10-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Yes, it's a "The Chokes On" light. But Rover Cars had an "Ice Alert" light which would tell you it was cold out and that there may be icey road conditions. (I heard it was put on vehicles sometime after the Titanic disaster to warn of approaching icebergs.) My 1970 Rover 3500S had one.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

siii8873
10-29-2013, 07:00 PM
there is one more component to the circuit, at least on the 73 and 74 SIIIs and 69 IIA I have had/have. The circuit also includes a temperature switch on the front left top side of the block. the switch Mark showes closes the circuit to the temp switch. When the engine warms up the temp switch closes completing the circuit and lighting the bulb. Essentially telling you that the choke is on and the engine is warm so shut off the choke. When you shut the choke off it opens the circuit turning the light off.

IIA
10-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I'll take a look this weekend.

SafeAirOne
10-29-2013, 09:48 PM
there is one more component to the circuit, at least on the 73 and 74 SIIIs and 69 IIA I have had/have.

Ahh, that was the 'earlier versions were more complicated' that I mentioned. My 73 didn't have this feature, AFAIK. Of course it originally had a 6-cylinder engine that stayed installed for all of the first 30 minutes I owned the truck.

Odd that it shows this feature on the SIIA wiring diagram, and not the SIII.

Kiloengineer
10-31-2013, 06:08 PM
My '68 2A has the "choke on" switch mounted on the choke cable right behind the instrument panel.

Escargo
10-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I guess that kinda explains why the choke position affects my electrics. Been having problems with an intermittant fuel gauge and lights. Noticed today that pulling the choke out cuts off my fuel gauge/ights. Well, not really explains to me, I still don't know what the heck is going on.