PDA

View Full Version : New to me 93 Range Rover Country - Get her running/build thread.

sfgraham2
10-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi!

Just purchased my 93 Range Rover 3.9 liter today, and wanted to introduce her and myself. I'm coming from the 'Jeep' world, and this is my first Range Rover.

Found the truck on Craigslist a week ago, and went to see, and buy her this morning. The seller had to jump the truck to get her started (battery was toast), but once running she made the 20+ mile trip without incident. I purchased a new Optima yellow top today, and now she fires right up. Some initial observations/questions from my first few hours:

- Truck starts and turns over, but stalls out. It takes one to two starts before she stays running, but then runs like a champ. Motor is very quiet, has 164k, and it's share of oil leaks. Need a new oil pan gasket for sure.
- Truck drove home without any warning lights appearing on the dash. Once the new battery was installed, I now have a check engine light on. I've done a bit of research and found out I can diagnosis this myself under the right front seat. (Code 17)
- ABS light comes on when starting her up, but goes off once you start moving.
- The hood won't stay down, I had to drive it home with just the safety latch keeping the hood in place. Was worried the entire ride that the hood would fly up and smash the windshield. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif Need to fix this ASAP! Looks mechanical, maybe the cable, or latch needs to be freed up?
- Blower for heat doesn't work, but was told by seller that there is heat and it shouldn't be a heater core issue. From what I've read this could be sensor or a bad blower?
- Truck has springs, not bags for suspension. Seller said short wheelbase came with Springs?? Not sure if that's entirely accurate.
- Windows all work, Power seats work, not sure if heat works on seats. Needs a new headliner, and sunroof liner.
- Frame, Body and Interior in great shape for 20yr old vehicle.
- I found a CD Changer in the trunk! No idea if it works, and I couldn't get it to lock back into its home. Regardless, still a wicked cool bonus find!

Finally, do any of you veterans want to share any advice on things I should be looking for as a new owner? Thanks in advance!

I've also posted this introduction on another Forum - Sorry if it's a repeat for some...

-Steve

57loboy
10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the world of RRCs...! As for your questions, here's what I can tell you:
Code 17 can be interpreted from a bunch of web references. What it is escapes me right now...
ABS light coming on when the truck starts and going off after you start moving is normal. It's part of the start-up/diagnosis cycle it runs through. You should hear the ABS pump running for up to 30-45 seconds when first started too.
Hood is probably a spring or latch issue. Try lubing it to ensure the base (receiver) part is working smoothly.
Springs are normal for a SWB truck. Only the LWB from 1993-1995 had air suspension.
To dig into the cause of the stalling out I'd start with the simple (fuel filter) and diagnose from there to check that you have a good fuel pump putting out adequate pressure, a good fuel pressure regulator to ensure it's not all running back into the tank and that your injectors aren't dirty and leaking fuel into the cylinders.

Good luck and have fun!

o2batsea
10-31-2013, 03:23 PM
- Truck starts and turns over, but stalls out. It takes one to two starts before she stays running, but then runs like a champ. Motor is very quiet, has 164k, and it's share of oil leaks. Need a new oil pan gasket for sure.
Likely the ignition amplifier module. Hard starting is a symptom of its imminent death.

- Truck drove home without any warning lights appearing on the dash. Once the new battery was installed, I now have a check engine light on. I've done a bit of research and found out I can diagnosis this myself under the right front seat. (Code 17)
This is usually O2 sensors but can also be a few other things.

- ABS light comes on when starting her up, but goes off once you start moving.
Normal

- The hood won't stay down, I had to drive it home with just the safety latch keeping the hood in place. Was worried the entire ride that the hood would fly up and smash the windshield. Need to fix this ASAP! Looks mechanical, maybe the cable, or latch needs to be freed up?
Lubricate and adjust. The metal tube for the release cable tends to rust away.

- Blower for heat doesn't work, but was told by seller that there is heat and it shouldn't be a heater core issue. From what I've read this could be sensor or a bad blower?
Does blower for the AC work in all three speeds? Heater blower, if dead, is a major big deal to repair or replace. You pretty much have to take the entire dash out. The blower motors are NLA. You must get yours working or find a heat unit that is good.

- Truck has springs, not bags for suspension. Seller said short wheelbase came with Springs?? Not sure if that's entirely accurate. Absolutely correct for that year.

- Windows all work, Power seats work, not sure if heat works on seats. Needs a new headliner, and sunroof liner.
Seat heaters probably failed the second week after this hit the road back in 93.

- Frame, Body and Interior in great shape for 20yr old vehicle.
There is rust. Look at inner wings, under rear load mat, in tailgate and in the rear door doglegs.

- I found a CD Changer in the trunk! No idea if it works, and I couldn't get it to lock back into its home. Regardless, still a wicked cool bonus find! Part of standard sound system. Now dated, it was pretty nice back then.

Finally, do any of you veterans want to share any advice on things I should be looking for as a new owner? Thanks in advance!
Check drain tubes for the AC, and sunroof if equipped.
John's website has a lot of good info for classics: rangerovers.net