PDA

View Full Version : New door seal trouble

kwells
10-31-2013, 02:14 PM
I just installed new front, rear and lower door seals on my 65 88". I literally cannot close the doors now. I taped them over and C-Clamped the doors shut for a week in hopes they would get some "memory" and then close easy but to no avail. Even with all my weight I can barely get the latches to close. I tried trimming some of the rubber on the rear seals that gets pinched but that did nothing. It seems as if there is just too much rubber. Anyone ever encounter this? suggestions??? Thanks in advance

Revtor
11-02-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a similar issue, PO installed some sort of rubber seals that are too fat. I had to adjust the striker catches (on the tub) outward a bit so I could close the doors without slamming them to hell every time. Doors don't sit flush w.the body, but at least they close and stay closed.

I Leak Oil
11-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Loosen or remove the door top so it doesn't interfere. Adjust the striker plate as Steve mentioned so the door closes to your satisfaction. Then tighten and adjust the door top.

kwells
11-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Converted to defender style seals = Problem solved. I would not recommend ANYONE to use the old style rivet-on seals they are awful.