PDA

View Full Version : Truck cab soft top install

NC_Mule
11-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Just wrapped up installing a All Wheel Trim truck cab and tonneau cover. Think it looks pretty cool. The rolled up shot is the tonneau cover and back rolled up in one. I can also just roll up the tonneau and keep the cab sealed. Top is a very nice fit. I'm coming off a full hard top so I also purchased the bits/pieces in a kit for a soft top truck cab. The kit was complete every nut, washer, rivit, and piece I needed. Only major complaint was it's shipped with out any instructions and AWT doesn't have any to offer. pb 8979898089818982

SafeAirOne
11-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Looking good!

darbsclt
11-17-2013, 05:50 AM
+1

I was contemplating this purchase as well. Thanks so much for the pictures (AWT's website leaves a little to be desired).

One quick question...

- Does the tonneau cover attach to the seat box bulkhead in any way, to prevent water from entering the tub during rain (or does it only snap to the back of the cab curtain)?

Can you offer an update in a few months regarding fit/shrinkage/weather protection, etc.?

Thanks!

Edit: Do you think the soft cab/tonneau could accommodate a spare tire mounted to the seat box bulkhead?

rickv100
11-17-2013, 07:30 AM
I have same top on my 109. I agree about the lack of instructions but just installed the tiedowns using the back of the truck as a guide.

Rick

NC_Mule
11-17-2013, 10:31 AM
The tonneau is attached to a extra flap that is sewed into the back of the truck cab. It does not attach to the bulkhead. It's hard to tell in the pics but I also installed the tonneau support bar that is supposed to raise the tonneau and prevent low spots for water to pool. I didn't try but I don't think a spare attached to the seatback would fit with the tonneau rolled out. I'll be sure to update in a few months after it shrinks into place. I'm just up the mountain from you, feel free to contact me if you come to Boone and want to take a closer look. pb
+1

I was contemplating this purchase as well. Thanks so much for the pictures (AWT's website leaves a little to be desired).

One quick question...

- Does the tonneau cover attach to the seat box bulkhead in any way, to prevent water from entering the tub during rain (or does it only snap to the back of the cab curtain)?

Can you offer an update in a few months regarding fit/shrinkage/weather protection, etc.?

Thanks!

Edit: Do you think the soft cab/tonneau could accommodate a spare tire mounted to the seat box bulkhead?

NC_Mule
11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
I have same top on my 109. I agree about the lack of instructions but just installed the tiedowns using the back of the truck as a guide.

Rick
I had trouble with the vertical part of the canvas pulling back out of the window frame. So I added a extra tie down as shown in the pic. Did you have to do anything like that?8983

darbsclt
11-18-2013, 06:57 AM
...I'm just up the mountain from you, feel free to contact me if you come to Boone and want to take a closer look. pb

Thanks for the info & the offer!... I may take you up on that next time i'm in the area.

I'm guessing the tonneau (especially when fitted with the support bar) cannot accommodate bench seats... correct?
In a nutshell... the tub would need to be 'empty.'

Cheers!

Lawrie
11-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I had the single cab AWT canvas on my 88":
-I had good luck with the fit I did keep it tight for first few months, extra secure to ensure it would not shrink. It since remained a good fit. I did a similar tie down as NC Mule, kept it cozy in winter. The rear roll up section worked well and offered a quick outdoor feel with hassle.
-I would imagine the tub has too be empty (no spare or seats for tonneau) If keen on it, i would inquire to Kim @ AWT as a custom one may not be as costly as you think.

- I just ordered a single cab for the 110 and AWT did send the blowup dwgs. of the frame, over door items to help accelerate my install answer dumb questions. I will be curious to see how the new windscreen mount works, quick disconnect.

I have found AWT to be very responsive. Which more than makes up for a plain web site.

NC_Mule
11-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Yes the tub has to be empty, I bet AWT could put a bump in the tonneau to allow for a upright spare tire. I removed my bench seats but so far I don't miss them. I left the lap belts installed. It was very rare that I had anyone ride in the back, except for a ride in the field. I think sitting on the bare wheel well will be fine for my use. This set up ran me about $1,100 bucks and my selling point to the wife was it was going to be warmer then the full hard top. Basic logic, cut your heated area by 2/3 and it should be warmer. Plus people say canvas holds the heat better anyway. Drum roll.............today Jenny said "your right it does feel warmer in here" so I'm off the hook. Winter is rolling in my neck of the woods so I should have the soft top in place till spring. That should be enough time for things to settle.
Lawrie, post a pic of the 110 with the single cab.
Darbsclt, I'll PM you my cell incase you head this way, I bounce between land rover projects, old Saabs and motorcycles so I drift away from this forum when I'm working on my other vehicles. It would be awesome if you can come up in your Rover.

pb