PDA

View Full Version : Differential Question

elmateorino
11-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi all. New to the forum and new Series IIa owner. We were driving on the beach the other day in 4WL. Went to move the Rover and nothing happened when I let the clutch out. Looked underneath, still in first, and saw the two shafts spinning but no pull on the axels. Even in 2WH, just the aft shaft is turning. I didn't notice a horrible grinding noise, so I don't think it is the differential itself. Ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Revtor
11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
So you saw both driveshafts spinning when you let the clutch out, but your truck didn't go anywhere? This happened on the beach? Do you have locking hubs on the front axle? Were they locked? Are you sure?

busted diff, or broken axle, or stripped drive flange. You didn't hear anything strange at anytime?

get it on jack stands and start spinning things to see where the issue is. pulling the axles is pretty easy.

sorry to hear it!

~Steve

elmateorino
11-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I will get it up and take a look when I get back from work.

SafeAirOne
11-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Kind of unusual to have BOTH front and rear wheel drive fail simultaneously, unless one was already failed and the other one just failed as a result of the additional stress.

Like Steve says, if both driveshafts are truly being powered, then the only other options are:

Unlocked front hubs, if so equipped (wouldn't that be nice and easy!) AND:

Stripped drive flanges--Remove the drive flanges at the hubs and look at the internal splines along with the splines on the end of the axle shaft. I don't think this is very likely on the 10-spline axles, personally, but you've got to pull them to remove the axle shafts anyhow.

Broken axle shafts--Remove the rear axles shafts and check that they're not broken. If one of them is, you'll have to devise a way to remove the broken piece. This is more likely the case, I bet. I can attest that when driving in 4 low with a failure of the rear wheel drive system, a failure of a front wheel drive component may be imminent when the terrain is difficult (like on a beach)--a single system can't always take the high torque forces generated when in 4 low in difficult driving conditions--it must be spread between the two systems.

Once you get the rear wheel drive diagnosed, you'll have to do the same for the front wheel drive, presuming it wasn't just unlocked front hubs. Removing the front shafts will be more challenging as they both have universal joints, so they don't just slide straight out like the rears. You've got to remove a bunch of other stuff to get those out.

Good luck and buy or download a copy of the Workshop Manual. You'll never go wrong following the book.

I Leak Oil
11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Sounds bad. Only time mine was ever towed was when both diffs went on same trip.
You don't have locking hubs up front do you?

elmateorino
11-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the input!! I will post back when I get home and figure out what it was.

elmateorino
12-31-2013, 04:20 PM
So as it turns out, the rear differential had a quick fix before.....Looking at the inside of it, the cross shaft was split like a banana and the spider gears were destroyed. Replacing those and should be good to go. Now time to see what's going on up forward. I think SafeAirOne is on the right track though....