PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Question

Billy5
11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
I am at the wiring phase on my refurb project. My question is, behind the gauge panel, there is a small "box" that the four green wires connect to. I am not sure what this is. I have an alternator conversion, so is this piece still required?
Thank You all!
Billy

TeriAnn
11-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I am at the wiring phase on my refurb project. My question is, behind the gauge panel, there is a small "box" that the four green wires connect to. I am not sure what this is. I have an alternator conversion, so is this piece still required?

That is your voltage stabilizer. It turns the voltage from your alternator which varies into sable 10V. The output goes to your gauges so they will not be affected by variations in voltage caused by your alternator RPM (a real problem with generators). So yes you need that puppy.

You should see a single dark green wire going to the box. It is your input wire. The rest should be light green wires. These go to your gauges.

SafeAirOne
11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Are you talking about the instrument voltage stabilizer? Should have 1 green wire going in and a light green wire coming out and looks like this:

http://www.land-rover.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/20130117_220145-1.jpg

o2batsea
11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
BTW that dark green is SWITCHED, FUSED power, as are all dark greens.

Billy5
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Yep. All green. Two light and two dark. I had a feeling that is what it was. I am just trying to simplify the rats nest. Thankfully no one hacked up everything so I have a decent amount of color left on the wires back there. Thats exactly what it looks like Mark.

NC_Mule
11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I see it has two male and two female connections. Does it matter which female goes to which male?
To test it should I be able to put a meter on it and get 10v coming out?

I ask because at higher rpm my temp guage goes up and gas guage down, then when I hit slower traffic and run low rpm's things seem to level out to normal.

pb