PDA

View Full Version : swivel ball oil seal

jimeagle
11-26-2013, 03:15 PM
I have a 1966 88" land rover that I want to replace the swivel ball oil seals in without removing the swivels. I have heard of a way of splitting the new seal with the cut on top to make changing the seal easier. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thx Jim 407-325-6233 or email jeshope@earthlink.net

LaneRover
11-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I have a 1966 88" land rover that I want to replace the swivel ball oil seals in without removing the swivels. I have heard of a way of splitting the new seal with the cut on top to make changing the seal easier. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thx Jim 407-325-6233 or email jeshope@earthlink.net

That is basically it. You cut the seal and make sure when you put the seal on that the cut you made is at the top of the swivel. You may want to drain the oil first (if there is any in there).

This keeps you from having to take the entire hub assemble off to change the seal.

SafeAirOne
11-26-2013, 03:54 PM
All you ever wanted to know about it, courtesy of TeriAnn: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm

Contractor
11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Somebody did that on my old truck and I always looked at it as a half ass repair.........if your fine with that then knock yourself out, but I'd do it the right way.

If you are dead set on cutting the seal I'd use grease rather than 90W for the refill.