PDA

View Full Version : Rear light question

Pete56
11-26-2013, 06:50 PM
On a 1972 Series 3 i have two small square clear lights on the rear of the truck. My question is, how do you turn these on? Where is the switch?

Thanks,

SafeAirOne
11-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Reverse lamps. Switch is on top of the transmission, near where the bottom of the gearshift lever is when in the 'reverse' position.

LaneRover
11-27-2013, 07:58 AM
On one of my trucks I made the reverse lights 'selectable'. The real reverse switch on the top of the transmission tunnel wasn't working so I extended the wires and put a small rocker switch right on the shifter just below the top. Worked great, kind of silly in a way but it worked great - and got me inspected!

Partsman
11-28-2013, 04:56 PM
On one of my trucks I made the reverse lights 'selectable'. The real reverse switch on the top of the transmission tunnel wasn't working so I extended the wires and put a small rocker switch right on the shifter just below the top. Worked great, kind of silly in a way but it worked great - and got me inspected!
Funny thing about you saying it got you inspected. For all of the garbage that we have to deal with in the State of Massachusetts, the hoops you have to jump through for having bought your truck as a private sale, if your truck wasn't built with reverse lights, you are exempt and do not need to install any. Weird.

SafeAirOne
11-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Probably the same with seat belts.

Pete56
12-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info, got them working.

LaneRover
12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Funny thing about you saying it got you inspected. For all of the garbage that we have to deal with in the State of Massachusetts, the hoops you have to jump through for having bought your truck as a private sale, if your truck wasn't built with reverse lights, you are exempt and do not need to install any. Weird.

Ah yes but if you have a truck that is a cobbled together 'bitsa' that has a tub from a truck with reverse lights, then you do need them in Maine! . . . DOH!