PDA

View Full Version : Steering box question: Late IIA versus III

1953lr80
11-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Anyone know for certain whether a Series III steering box will bolt in place of a late Series IIA steering box?
Columns are the same length?
Bolt pattern same at mounting bracket?

I'm not worried about differences in the turn signals, horn, steering column shroud, etc.

Thanks . . .

siiirhd88
12-01-2013, 04:21 PM
The SIII steering box bolt pattern is the same as the SIIA at the mounting bracket on the bulkhead support, but some SIIA boxes use 3/8" diameter bolts and others use 7/16" diameter bolts. I've drilled the 3/8" holes to fit the larger bolts. The column lengths are close enough to not matter. The late SIIA steering column fits the same steering wheel as the SIII, but the shaft for the banjo style SIIA steering wheel is larger with a different spline count and won't work with the later wheel.

Bob

1953lr80
12-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Bob, this is Jeremy B. working on that old '51 again . . . Thanks for your reply.

The IIA engine mounts worked fine and now the project is the steering. John Craddock wrote an article back in the 80's that Tom B. passed along about using a IIA steering box upside down in an 80". After considering a P38 power steering conversion and deciding that it was unnecessary in an 80" on 'normal' tires, that's the route I'm taking.

Your reply was very helpful since the Series III steering box I just picked up from Neil H. uses the 7/16" bolts. I had thought I'd be able to do the 'mock up' with the Series III steering box and then bolt in a IIA box later but it's (slightly) more complicated.

- Jeremy

SafeAirOne
12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Not sure which direction you're going, but like Bob says, the steering mounting box holes are the biggest problem when bolting a pre SIII box onto a SIII support because the smaller SIIA bolts tend to eventually wallow around in the larger SIII holes because there's extra room for movement.

siiirhd88
12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I figured it was you..... I'm glad the mounts worked OK. I should have a LHD SIIA column and box if you need one for your mock up, but I will need to check the bolt sizes. No spare RHD boxes, however. I should also have a bulkhead support, but as Mark stated the smaller 3/8" bolts tend to wander around in the SIII support.

Bob

Hi Bob, this is Jeremy B. working on that old '51 again . . . Thanks for your reply.

The IIA engine mounts worked fine and now the project is the steering. John Craddock wrote an article back in the 80's that Tom B. passed along about using a IIA steering box upside down in an 80". After considering a P38 power steering conversion and deciding that it was unnecessary in an 80" on 'normal' tires, that's the route I'm taking.

Your reply was very helpful since the Series III steering box I just picked up from Neil H. uses the 7/16" bolts. I had thought I'd be able to do the 'mock up' with the Series III steering box and then bolt in a IIA box later but it's (slightly) more complicated.

- Jeremy

leafsprung
12-01-2013, 09:03 PM
The SIIabox is longer than the SI box and the SIII box is longer still. The issue with using it in an 80 inch is that the steering wheel is right up in your business. I would strongly consider shortening it or using a SII box (with the banjo wheel) It shorter and looks better. I may even have an extra 80 box.

1953lr80
12-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I have a PDF of the John Craddock article on the conversion (Series II/III steering box in an 80") that I could email to anyone interested if you send a PM with your email address.

My experience with the 80" steering box in a '53 and a '52 makes me want to try something (potentially) better with my '51 'bitsa' (Series IIA engine, most of the gearbox, axles).

I agree that the early IIA steering wheel looks better.

Jeremy

leafsprung
12-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Ive had all the various boxes 80s - SI,SII,SIIA and SIII - SII/A works ok, but if I were to do it again Id shorten the inner and outer column to match 80 length and use the late Series one horn bracket and steering wheel center. Heres a pic of a plain old LHD SIIA box mounted in an 80 - mounted right side up. I drive a 53 daily and just use the original box, it doesnt give me any trouble.

1953lr80
12-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Ive had all the various boxes 80s - SI,SII,SIIA and SIII - SII/A works ok, but if I were to do it again Id shorten the inner and outer column to match 80 length and use the late Series one horn bracket and steering wheel center. Heres a pic of a plain old LHD SIIA box mounted in an 80 - mounted right side up. I drive a 53 daily and just use the original box, it doesnt give me any trouble.

Thanks for that picture. After test-fitting with a SIII RHD steering box, I'm going to follow your advice with the original 80" steering box.

Jeremy

dabawei
01-28-2014, 04:28 AM
I am having Series-2a, with steering wheel of Series-3. I would replace the plastic wheel to wire spoke wheel, for this column require to be change.

Question:
Does RHD steering column fit to LHD? I read in some thread it will end up of reverse direction!!!

If this is the case, If I remove the Series-2 RHD steeirng column from the box and install it to series-3 LHD steering box => Will it work??

thanks.
BinEid

1953lr80
01-28-2014, 08:23 AM
I am having Series-2a, with steering wheel of Series-3. I would replace the plastic wheel to wire spoke wheel, for this column require to be change.

Question:
Does RHD steering column fit to LHD? I read in some thread it will end up of reverse direction!!!

If this is the case, If I remove the Series-2 RHD steeirng column from the box and install it to series-3 LHD steering box => Will it work??

thanks.
BinEid

Switching the inner column between a LHD and a RHD steering box will NOT work. You will need an early LHD Series II/IIA steering box (since the later Series IIA trucks had the plastic steering wheel you are trying to replace).

Even putting it together to steer the "opposite way" presents a problem because the mounting holes in the steering box housing will be in the wrong place.