PDA

View Full Version : Santana series III

Amirbayzid
12-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I have a 1978 Landrover Santana 4 cylinder 4 speed that I imported from Barcelona recently. Id love to fully restore this beauty and get the original "guardia civil" look back on it. It was originally a government police type vehicle in Spain.
We opened the gear box this week and I couldn't believe how this thing was still driving! The gears are all chipped, the flywheel was bent, the clutch was more worn out on one side than the other, ect. My question is if anyone knows the transmission specs and if there is a more common model landrover that uses a transmission that could fit in mine?
Really hoping someone can help me out with this because Its starting to look like my only options are to machine weld the whole thing or to expensively ship one over :(

SafeAirOne
12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Is it not just a Rover SIII gearbox, flywheel, etc? Any pics?

Amirbayzid
12-03-2013, 06:29 AM
Is it not just a Rover SIII gearbox, flywheel, etc? Any pics?

Thanks for the response.
This is the first land rover I open, I have no idea. I will stop by the shop today and take some detailed picks.

Amirbayzid
12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
This is the Whole thing taken out. The flywheel weighed a ton! along with one of the gears to show damage.Im now attempting to find the individual parts online and see if its cheaper than replacing the whole thing.
9011 9010 90129013

SafeAirOne
12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Hmm...That might be a tough one. Not anything I've seen attached to a proper rover before, but then I lead a sheltered life. What engine do you have?

Amirbayzid
12-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Hmm...That might be a tough one. Not anything I've seen attached to a proper rover before, but then I lead a sheltered life. What engine do you have?

diesel 4 cylinders , 2.25 cc, and being a Santana it has the land rover 8 cylinder version transmission and gear box.

pitchrollyaw
12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
nothing technical to add, but please let me say Nice Truck! Enjoy.

rwollschlager
12-05-2013, 03:50 PM
The 8-cylinder version of the transmission and transfer box is far more robust than a standard british one for the 4-cylinder, it may not be worth rebuilding however. If you have a standard 2.25 rover diesel, it would be very easy to source a new bell housing, flywheel, and a british transmission and transfer box, though you would probably need to relocate your transmission mounts on the frame. Ashcroft offers fully rebuilt gearboxes for both regular and santana rovers http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=81

The V8 santanas came with the LT85 usually and after looking those up, they don't look quite like the one you have. I'm stumped.

-Rob

mearstrae
12-05-2013, 05:36 PM
It looks kinda like a ZF four speed(?). It's not an LT-95, the other Land Rover 4 Spd, used on V-8's. It's a queer looking duck... No model number stamping or tag?

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

rwollschlager
12-05-2013, 09:36 PM
is it a manual or auto?

Amirbayzid
12-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks rwollschlager for the web sight. defiantly going to be a help. Its a manual.
The transmission is so dirty that i will have to clean it to see if there are any kind of serial/model #, should be able to post what I find this weekend.

Amirbayzid
12-10-2013, 10:57 AM
I was not able to find a model # but in the book of Landrover series 3 I was able to find the parts I need. Now i'm looking where I could find these parts via part #

SafeAirOne
12-10-2013, 03:50 PM
What are the part numbers?

Oh, and I've got to say...

The parts scattered around in this picture look pretty familiar in a series-rover sense, but the big gearbox in photo doesn't look familiar.

Did those surrounding parts come out of that gearbox?

Just trying to get an understanding of what I'm looking at here...

http://forums.roversnorth.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9010&d=1386211750

o2batsea
12-11-2013, 08:38 AM
As you have discovered, a Santana is a Land Rover in name only. Two totally different manufacturers. I have no idea where to get parts, and it looks like you need a bunch. Have you tried Santana directly?
Maybe you should think about a more common transmission that you can get repair parts for.