PDA

View Full Version : S/S Hardware SIII 88

Ray
12-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Does anyone have a fairly comprehensive "shopping list" of common fasteners used in a chassis swap? Looking to go stainless where practical. New galvy from our hosts going under the old girl before too long....stockpiling gear to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

Guessing there may have been about that at some point but haven't come across yet.

Thanks!

stomper
12-08-2013, 06:12 PM
There is a lot of controversy about using SS fasteners for a rebuild, because of the galvanic corrosion between aluminum and SS. You can read the arguments, but you wouldn't be the first to go through a SS swap.

If you are going to go through with it, at least order different types of SS for the bolts and the nuts, to prevent galling, which is a problem worse than rusty fasteners.

morgant
12-09-2013, 04:59 AM
Go grab yourself a copy of the Belgian Series III parts catalog (linked from this thread (http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?10794-Bolts&p=62538), which will likely be good to peruse for the SS galling & galvanic corrosion topic), as it's got most of the bolts specified (and many missing ones hand-written in, at least in the linked PDF).

Ray
12-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Great parts catalog. Thanks guys. Have to do some more reading on the Galvanic Corrosion issue.....Nautical side of me feels pretty good about stainless as lesser of a few evils......wish 1/4-28 more "available" in galvy......

o2batsea
12-09-2013, 07:35 AM
I used a sh!+ ton of 18-8 fasteners from McMaster-Carr. Mostly 1/4-28 in 3/4 and 1". Approximately 200-odd so far. Also need 5/16th for body to chassis. Floors screws and speed nuts in stainless are available from some Ebay.co.uk vendors.

antichrist
12-09-2013, 11:00 AM
If you use armor coat fasteners, especially if you also use Never-Seez on the threads, you'll not have seized fasteners nor galvanic corrosion issues.

These wheel studs were in the dirt for close to 10 years, but the threads coated with Never-Seez. A 1/4" drive ratchet could have removed the nuts.
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/rover_driver/Land%20Rovers/Series/Misc/Series_wheel_Studs_after_ten_years.jpg