PDA

View Full Version : possible cracked block

Zimbos
12-16-2013, 08:22 AM
bummed out this morning ,took the kids to school this morning after a 30 degree night , when I got home I was leaking radiator fluid , the location is on the side of the block next to the starter motor in a circular area about 2 inch diameter , there is 3 of them circular forms on the block ,the leak is the one right up against the starter motor
any thoughts

o2batsea
12-16-2013, 09:23 AM
from your description it would seem to be coming from one of the casting plugs (aka "freeze plugs") They are a pain in the butt to repair in the vehicle, but it can be done. It's about a 3 dollar part. You have to knock out the old one, clean and dry the area and push in a new one that's been permatex'd.

Now that I think about it, I believe there are temporary repair ones you can get that are made of rubber. They have a bolt in the middle and a nut on the outside. You tighten the nut, it expands the rubber and seals the hole.

Zimbos
12-16-2013, 10:47 AM
thank you , it was the freeze plug behind the starter motor , I removed the starter and was able to get it out all in about an hour ,waiting on the new one from our host , thanks to all

SafeAirOne
12-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Not sure if the plug just rusted away or it was actually forced out by ice, but I'd recommend making sure your anti-freeze/coolant is up to snuff, lest you have to buy a new engine.