PDA

View Full Version : Insuring for value a Series vehicle

johnny2rovers
12-16-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask any way.............Insurance?

I own two LR's and am looking to purchase an older Series vehicle. Hagerty does not like the idea that I might use the vehicle for the purpose it was intended. My insurance agent is not sure she can protect my investment.

Does anyone have a policy that allows drivability and protection of the full value of your investment?

Contractor
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask any way.............Insurance?

I own two LR's and am looking to purchase an older Series vehicle. Hagerty does not like the idea that I might use the vehicle for the purpose it was intended. My insurance agent is not sure she can protect my investment.

Does anyone have a policy that allows drivability and protection of the full value of your investment?

I use State Farm and they do not have a problem with an agreed upon value policy. Have Somebody provide you with an appraisel (LR Dealer, etc.) and give it to your agent.

LaneRover
12-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Your agent may also think that 'off-roading' is similar to the Baja 1000 or the Camel Trophy. If all you want to do is drive it through some fields or old dirt roads I would let her know.

Jim-ME
12-17-2013, 05:22 AM
I have AAA insurance and my Rover is a 64. When I inquired about a stated value policy they told me that I would have to get an appraisal done before they would insure it for a stated amount. They also told me that regular collision would be a waste of money because of the age of the vehicle. Since I drive it on a regular basis I plan to get the appraisal done and then see what the stated value collision policy would cost. Be very careful about which stated value collision insurance you purchase because some of them have mileage limits or use limits which I found were too restrictive.
Jim

TedW
12-17-2013, 06:33 AM
I got mine through State Farm: I told them the value I wanted it insured for and sent them the requested inside / outside photos. They agreed and sent me the bill. Very easy, in my view. Your results may vary.......

stomper
12-17-2013, 07:05 AM
I have a Hagerty plan, and while it is not a perfect solution, it seems to be adequate. There are no milage restrictions, and they did not require an appraisal. They do not like the idea of using the vehicle "off road", so I figure anything I break while wheeling is my own fault and I will pay for separately. They just don't understand there are levels of terrain, and not everyone is out to recreate the Camel Trophy.

The other nuisance, is they require the vehicle be garaged when not in use. Sometimes mine is, and sometimes it is not. Regardless, I hope to never need to collect on it anytime soon, but if I do, I should be able to replace my truck pretty comfortably with the value I stated.

o2batsea
12-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I just have regular old liability with Geico. I figure if I crash it, I can fix it. It's tagged with geezer plates, so that means I can only run it in parades or in club events or some crap like that. I used it as a dd for years and never was questioned by any cops except for them giving thumbs up or asking what it was.

Jim-ME
12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
When I had Antique Plates I had no amount of problems with my local police force. I kept getting pulled over because they saw it on the road too much. As has been said, Your results may vary.

jac04
12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
I have Hagerty as well. Agreed value policy. No mileage restrictions, but I'm not supposed to use it for commuting - pleasure use only.

If you get 'antique' plates, some states have restrictions, while others do not. CT has no restrictions.

LR Max
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
When I had Antique Plates I had no amount of problems with my local police force. I kept getting pulled over because they saw it on the road too much. As has been said, Your results may vary.

It varies. Here in GA, the "antique" plate is just a special plate you pay extra for. Kinda like having your favorite college or support animals or kids or whatever plates. You still pay for the full everything so no difference in registration.

However in NC, "antique" carries with it restrictions.

johnny2rovers
12-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for your comments.

I was able to do agreed value on my current Safeco policy. No restrictions. I had to coach my agent. Good thing because I bought a
'65 2A today!

I pick it up in Greenville, SC Friday.

I guess I'm now johnny3rovers..............

Contractor
12-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for your comments.

I was able to do agreed value on my current Safeco policy. No restrictions. I had to coach my agent. Good thing because I bought a
'65 2A today!

I pick it up in Greenville, SC Friday.

Cool, glad it worked out. Is that the truck that Land Rover Carolinas had for sale?

johnny2rovers
12-17-2013, 07:58 PM
I suspect the same truck. Blue. Some what funky. I will do my best to bring it back to original.

i have trouble selling vehicles. This provides an opportunity to shed my stable of a BMW Z3.

Contractor
12-18-2013, 06:20 AM
If it's funky, then yes, it's the same truck. It has wood panel doors and some other "custom" odds and ends. It looks really nice though.

Congrats and post pictures of your progress!

ThePhotographer
12-18-2013, 09:51 AM

I can make that happen if you'd like!