PDA

View Full Version : oddly locking front wheel(s)

emmotto
12-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Yesterday, I got in the Rover ('69 SIIa 88) and when I pulled out it felt like the parking brake was still on. Huge drag against forward progress...

I drove about 10 feet and said "hmmmmm" then tried a few things (like engage then disengage parking brake, engage then disengage 4wd) to no avail.

So later I dragged my way into the garage and jacked up all 4 wheels. With gbox in neutral, 2wd, hubs engaged, the rears seemed fine, left front wheel locked solid. Just to be sure up on the jackstands I started the engine and ran it in 2wd. OK. Then engaged 4wd and it stalled as I let out the clutch.

Pulled the left front wheel, backed off the adjuster and pulled the drum and absolutely nothing weird inside - springs in the right place, no fluid, no oil, shoes good. Put drum back on and readjusted and all seemed fine. Then the right side locked up! I could turn it fwd, then turning back I could only go so far, then turned fwd and it locked up!

Backed off the adjuster and it freed up, then readjusted and all fine.

Dis-engaged the hubs and let it down, took it for a quick drive - all seemed fine. Re-engaged hubs and did the same thing - all fine.

What the....

Anyone have something like this happen?

Pixies? Gremlins? Leprechauns?

I Leak Oil
12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a hydraulics issue. Wheel cylinder, MC, flex line, really bad fluid.....With a wheel locked I'm surprised you were able to get the drum off though.

SafeAirOne
12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Deteriorated flex hoses or a large chunk of contaminant in the front line(s) would be my guess.