PDA

View Full Version : Help troubleshooting starting/ignition issue?

Burlsube
12-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm hoping to get some help troubleshooting my non starting IIa. This is my first foray into ignition area of my truck. Several weeks ago, I parked the truck came back a week later and it wont fully start. The starter engages and I can hear it almost catch but it doesnt. So far I have lets replace some parts. Not the most systematic approach, but works for my limited time.

So far I have charged the battery, replaced the inline fuel filter, changed the spark plugs, ignition coil, and condenser.

For the ignition coil, I have the wire from the fuse box coming to the positive side of the coil. On the neg side of the coil there is a wire going to the distributor condenser. I simply moved these over from the old Lucas coil to the new RN one.

I have a new set of points I'll try to point in there tomorrow. At this point I'm kind of lost to what else could be the issue. I am fairly certain it isnt a fueling issue. The both the sediment bowl and inline filter has gas flowing through them.

Any thoughts?

I Leak Oil
12-24-2013, 03:09 PM
So it's turning over fine but just not catching? Don't underestimate the fuel side. Prime the system with the primer lever on the pump. Perhaps a little starter fluid to see if it goes using that.

If you take the ignition wire off the middle of the dist. cap and hold it close to ground does it have a nice spark? How about the plug wires? Do the same test with them.

LaneRover
12-25-2013, 10:01 AM
You can easily rule out the fuel issue by pouring a bit of fuel down the carb's throat. I need to look into my '65 a bit because it currently takes a LONG time to start when it has sat for more than a 1/2 a day. Unless of course I pour a bit of fuel down the carb. This is even with me priming by hand.

Once I put the fuel down the carb it starts right up!

siii8873
12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
is the starter not engaging completly? Cannot tell from your description but sounds like this is what you are experiencing. If
it is not check/clean all the connections from battery to starter and starter to frame ground.

Burlsube
12-25-2013, 06:24 PM
I'll try using some starter fluid tomorrow. The starter is fully engaging, but I think there is an issue with fuel or weak or non existent spark.