PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Brakes..

Dubv1980
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Ok...
'73 Series III, stock drum brakes.
My brakes are stopping fine, but have a LOUD squeak. I took off the drums, cleaned everything, and the squeak went away..but soon came back. There is NO leak from the hubs...no grease or oil on the pads or in the drums. Are these just crummy pads? It wouldn't be a big deal, but the squeal is incredibly loud, and pretty darn irritating. Any ideas?

Chris

LaneRover
06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Do the brake shoes look shiny at all? I had this problem with my 65 109 years ago and basically the brake shoes had gotten 'glazed'. After this happened everyone told me you have to be a little careful with the brakes when they are first put on to avoid this glazing problem. Unfortunately if this happens you most likely have to get new brake shoes.

LaneRover

jac04
06-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I had a very annoying squeal from my brakes, even though everything was brand new (shoes, drums, springs, wheel cylinders). I found that adding a very slight chamfer to the leading edge of the brake shoes helped a little. However, what really solved my problem was eliminating the excess paint from the hub flanges and the mating surface of the brake drums. I had gotten a little over-zealous with the paint during my restoration. I would imagine that rust would do the same thing. Make sure that these surfaces are thoroughly cleaned and see if it helps.

Tim Smith
06-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I thought that squeaking came from the friction of metal on metal...

Couldn't a coat of the blue brake squeak stuff (forgot the name of it, but it's real common) help on the contact points of the shoes to slave/pivot points? NO, DON'T PUT IT ON THE STOPPING SURFACE SILLY.

Last few days, mine squeaks like #ell on the first stop of the morning. Even locks up real easy. But then it goes on like normal with minor squeaking for the rest of the day. I'm assuming it's the rain and moist air we've been experiencing thats giving me the morning surprises.