PDA

View Full Version : Vote the Diamond Plate in or out!

johnny2rovers
12-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Does the diamond plate and wood trim stay or does it go???

VOTE NOW.........

I Leak Oil
12-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Keep the floor, ditch the rest.

gotacohiba
12-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm with leak.
Keep the floor, can the rest

ivan
12-24-2013, 05:20 PM
go away its a rover

siii8873
12-24-2013, 07:43 PM
may be some tub issues under that diamond plate floor, I'd do some looking before deciding. The spots where the cross supports touch the aluminum floor are susceptible to galvanic corrosion.

SafeAirOne
12-24-2013, 10:14 PM
may be some tub issues under that diamond plate floor, I'd do some looking before deciding. The spots where the cross supports touch the aluminum floor are susceptible to galvanic corrosion.

I was thinking the same thing. Generally nobody "upgrades" their tub floor and wheelwells with diamond plate and wood unless there's some compelling reason to do so, though I DO see a custom roll cage also, so you never know.

All in all, I think it's much better to see diamond plate in the interior rear tub than anywhere on the exterior, but that's just my personal preference.

toga Rover
12-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Keep the Diamond Plate. Lose the wood.

o2batsea
12-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I prefer a rubber stall mat to the hard floor, so my vote is for no treadbrite. To my mind, it is usually used to hide flaws or damage. I'd wonder what awaits you if you took it up.

Donnie
12-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I like it, I think it provides a nice custom look to the truck. Leave it alone.. By looking at the rest of the truck, I doubt that it is "hiding anything".........as someone who has had his seats redone with genuine leather....does that negate my vote.......Donnie:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
12-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Generally nobody "upgrades" their tub floor and wheelwells with diamond plate and wood unless there's some compelling reason to do so, though I DO see a custom roll cage also, so you never know.

Yup, my floor was pretty bad. Removed al the spotwelds and rivets holding it in, cleaned up all the flanges, used adhesive and HS aluminum rivets to attach the new diamond plate floor, stiffeners and supports. Looked a little out of place at first because it was sooo shiney but that wen't away pretty quick.

I agree that just slapping the new over the old is fools time spent.

I Leak Oil
12-25-2013, 10:28 AM
.........as someone who has had his seats redone with genuine leather....does that negate my vote.......

I'd love to recover my early defender seats with heated leather.....Ooooooo that would be nice!

LaneRover
12-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Unless you are doing something else I would just leave it all.

If the wood gets wets and then holds water I would probably get rid of that.

I agree with the previous poster that it is better on the inside of a Rover than the outside.

Revtor
12-25-2013, 01:47 PM
It looks like they did a good enough job -i'd leave it and go for a drive. Once you rip it out you'll have new issues to tackle. Save your $$ and man hours for when something goes south under the hood, then you will have a real issue to deal with. At that point you'll be happy that you have the plate on the wings because your paint won't get scratched unnecessarily by tools and you'll find that it keeps your sockets from rolling off your wing tops.

The plate will dull down over time and will blend in nicely.

antichrist
12-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Wing protectors can also add support when walking on them to get stuff from the rack.

johnny2rovers
03-15-2014, 03:52 PM
After a month's work I have transformed this 88: Removed the giant roll bar. Removed diamond plate from rear area, removed homemade wood dash panels and replaced with all new original panels painted to match. Stripped every wire from the truck. Installed new wiring harness with new alternator. Added the missing fan shroud. I am thrilled with the result!

NC_Mule
03-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Looks great!!!

SafeAirOne
03-15-2014, 08:01 PM
WHEW!...MUCH better! Nice job.

I Leak Oil
03-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Looks great! Probably shed a few pounds too!

toga Rover
03-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Bravo. Great looking truck.

darbsclt
03-17-2014, 07:50 AM
What a great transformation!... congrats!

I remember this being put up for sale two owners ago... and lamenting all the wood and diamond plate (just not my taste). You've done a super job with her...

By the way, if you are looking for a Kodiak "Heater" knob, to match the others (they are very hard to come by)... I might have a lead for you. Shoot me a pm & I'll dig out the guy's email address (when I was looking for one, he contacted me just after I found one)

stomper
03-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Are you thinking of re-installing the roll bar? I'm not interested in buying and shipping it to Maine, but you may find a willing buyer near you.

lighiche
03-17-2014, 07:08 PM
After a month's work I have transformed this 88: Removed the giant roll bar. Removed diamond plate from rear area, removed homemade wood dash panels and replaced with all new original panels painted to match. Stripped every wire from the truck. Installed new wiring harness with new alternator. Added the missing fan shroud. I am thrilled with the result!

Outstanding.

I hate diamond plate. I recognize that that may be small-minded. I don't hate people that love diamond plate. I just don't think it has a place on a Series Truck. Personal preference.

Your transformation of this lovely Rover is heartwarming. Nice job.

lighiche
03-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Also, I meant to ask...In the middle of your three photos, what's that latch attached to a webbing strap on the middle seat?

SafeAirOne
03-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Aircraft style seatbelt:
http://carryovergt350.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Short-Latch-Links-300x225.jpg