PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 109 V8 Parabolic Springs...any experience?

MartyBushue
12-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Anyone have any first hand experience with parabolic springs on a series 3 109 step 1 V8? I assume this heavier vehicle may not behave the same as a standard 109. The current ride with my 1983 is just too rough for in-town driving.

thewap
12-28-2013, 03:06 AM
I think parabolics give a major improvement in comfort for the series rovers, as well as give an extra inch of height/clearance. I do think however that you would need to decide how many leaf spring parabolics you want to use - (2-5 leaf parabolics?) after determining which is best for your overall vehicle weight. If too soft (2 leaf type) the truck may have too much of a roll.

Firemanshort
01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I have a Stage One V8 with parabolics. I am not sure what brand they are - possibly British Spring. The truck came from the UK with these springs fitted.

I have 2 leafs up front. I think they did OK until I put a monster bumper on the front and then a winch.

The aluminum V8 motor is probably very nearly in line weight-wise with the cast iron 2.25.

As my truck sits now - the front springs are showing some wear. I have spoken at length to the kind folks at Rocky Mountain Parabolics in Canada and with the tape measure readings I have given them - they suggest I replace my two leaf springs with new 2 leafs and a helper - not quite a full third leaf. I wager if I took off the bumper and winch then the 2 leafs would have been fine.

They also had all kinds of ideas about how to "tune" in the length / support of the helper spring.

(It may also be of note that the springs were new in 2006 - and have had about 30K miles put on them - and some of those miles were off road.)

o2batsea
01-21-2014, 05:18 AM
The 4 leaf rears are stupid stiff. Had a set on the 2A and they really rocked the house. I would say that Dave's advice is right on. Unless you are hauling around depleted uranium, you need only three leafs in back, max.

Firemanshort
01-21-2014, 09:21 AM
WRT to the rear - for a pickup - your kidneys will thank you for only getting three leaves. My truck had four when I bought it - but I took a leaf out and have been thankful ever since.

I am running 3 in the rear and 2 in the front (presently) and I probably should have just a little more in the front - like I stated above.