PDA

View Full Version : OIL LEAKS

Zimbos
12-29-2013, 09:04 AM
OK GUYS I THOUGHT I LUCKED OUT AND HAD ONLY ONE LEAK ,FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL ,SINCE DOING MY TANSFERCASE OIL CHANGE AND TRANNY CHANGE NOW HAVING THE CORRECT LEVELS IT SEEMS I HAVE A COUPLE MORE LEAKS , ALL FLUIDS ARE NEW AND I AM NOT READY TO FIX THE LEAKS UNTILL I GET MY MONEY OUT OF THE OIL , HAS ANYONE USED ANY PRODUCT TO SLOW THE LEAKS DOWN IF SO I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS , THANKS GARETH DALLAS TEXAS

I Leak Oil
12-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Don't know about any affective additives but I see your problem.
Black roof + Dallas heat = melted every seal on the truck!:)

The only way I've managed to stave off leaks for any extended period of time is to replace any oil seal AND questionable sealing surface and to use Permatex or similar gasket goo in place of any paper gaskets. Any future seal replacements I do will be with double lipped seals if available.

mearstrae
12-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Rovers (Like other things of that name...) aren't just leaking, they are marking their territory.
I use 15-50 or 20-50 engine oil, in hot weather, it doesn't stop the leaks, but it seems to slow them some. (Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...) The only sure way is as Jason suggests, and double sided seals keep oil in and dirt out, at the same time. Remove seals and measure with a vernier caliper to get exact size and then consult a bearing supply house (not the auto parts store). A Timken catalog is very helpful in finding seal and bearing part numbers for custom work. I've found bearings with built in seals, on one side, that take the pressure off the factory seals in applications that have a bearing next to a factory seal. Use this type bearing and the double sided seals and you pretty much have a triple seal.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Zimbos
12-29-2013, 02:03 PM
THANKS JASON ,THE NEXT PAINT PROJECT IS THE ROOF ,LIMESTONE .

Don't know about any affective additives but I see your problem.
Black roof + Dallas heat = melted every seal on the truck!:)

The only way I've managed to stave off leaks for any extended period of time is to replace any oil seal AND questionable sealing surface and to use Permatex or similar gasket goo in place of any paper gaskets. Any future seal replacements I do will be with double lipped seals if available.

Revtor
12-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I use cardboard to deal with my leaks.

Look at the bright side, now when the leaks stop - you know you need to add oil!

SafeAirOne
12-29-2013, 08:48 PM
My 109's leaks laugh at your 88's slight drips! :)

Cutter
12-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Ditto on the cardboard. If only my whole driveway was covered in it.

Zimbos
12-30-2013, 06:18 AM
CHRISTMAS WAS A BIG HELP I SAVED ALOT OF CARDBOARD , YOU GET 4 SIDES OUT OF A TV BOX

I Leak Oil
12-30-2013, 06:49 AM
Ditto on the cardboard. If only my whole driveway was covered in it.

Just replace all that crushed stone with kitty litter! Oh wait, Mark already did that....