PDA

View Full Version : Drive Flange Bolt Size

willincalgary
12-30-2013, 06:27 PM
I have been investigating the drive flange bolts on my Series II. It appears I have two different size bolts on the same rear axle. They are both 3/8" 20TPI but one is 1 3/8" and the other 1 5/8". I ordered replacements from a supplier out west and got new bolts of the diameter and thread but they are 1 3/4" long. How long are the bolts supposed to be? The issue is the new bolts bottom out in the hub before the head/lock washer meets the drive flange. I've measured the depth to the end of the threads to be 1 3/4" to 1 5/8" but there is junk in there making the measurement vary a bit. Anybody know what the original drive flange bolt length was?

JimCT
12-30-2013, 08:26 PM
measure what you have yourself, does not really matter what someone else tells you.

I have been investigating the drive flange bolts on my Series II. It appears I have two different size bolts on the same rear axle. They are both 3/8" 20TPI but one is 1 3/8" and the other 1 5/8". I ordered replacements from a supplier out west and got new bolts of the diameter and thread but they are 1 3/4" long. How long are the bolts supposed to be? The issue is the new bolts bottom out in the hub before the head/lock washer meets the drive flange. I've measured the depth to the end of the threads to be 1 3/4" to 1 5/8" but there is junk in there making the measurement vary a bit. Anybody know what the original drive flange bolt length was?

willincalgary
12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
JimCT

Okay. Let me rephrase my question. The new bolts measure to be as long as the threaded portion of the hole. However, the hole in the hub is blind, so it's not likely to be threaded perfectly all the way to the shoulder which I'm measuring (unless Land Rover really got in there with a bottoming tap). Should I go to the trouble of purchasing a bottoming tap to try to get the 1 3/4" bolts to fit, or should I try to source a shorter 3/8" 20TPI bolt to suit the hole as is.

Clear?

I Leak Oil
12-31-2013, 07:56 AM
I "think" the earlier drive flanges were thinner than the later ones so if your SII has the original flanges then you may need to find shorter bolts. Or go with newer flanges. Either way clean out the threads as best you can.

Ulitimately Jim is right. You just need to find a size that fits. If you're 1 5/8 bolts work then find some of those. FWIW a general rule of thumb is you want 1 1/2 times thread diameter worth of engagement. EX: for a 1/2" diameter bolt you want 3/4" worth of thread engagement. More doesn't yield much advantage in strenght and less runs the risk of pulling the threads before the bolt would fail.

So measure the drive flange thickness, add 1 1/2 bolt diameter and that's your minimum length.

JimCT
12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
you can always cut off a bit of the thread to keep them from bottoming out

I "think" the earlier drive flanges were thinner than the later ones so if your SII has the original flanges then you may need to find shorter bolts. Or go with newer flanges. Either way clean out the threads as best you can.

Ulitimately Jim is right. You just need to find a size that fits. If you're 1 5/8 bolts work then find some of those. FWIW a general rule of thumb is you want 1 1/2 times thread diameter worth of engagement. EX: for a 1/2" diameter bolt you want 3/4" worth of thread engagement. More doesn't yield much advantage in strenght and less runs the risk of pulling the threads before the bolt would fail.

So measure the drive flange thickness, add 1 1/2 bolt diameter and that's your minimum length.

ignotus
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Will,
From the parts catalogue; set bolt (3/8" BSF x 1 19/32"), same size listed for the front.

gene

greenmeanie
12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
you can always cut off a bit of the thread to keep them from bottoming out

I was going to suggest this but then I looked at the picture and noticed the unthreaded shank length is longer on the new bolt. He would need to measure the depth of the clearance hole of the flange to make sure this does not bottom out before the thread does.

antichrist
12-31-2013, 01:29 PM
x2. Are you sure the shoulder of the bolt isn't what's causing it to "bottom" and not the bolt being too long?

mearstrae
12-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Cap screws, in general, in these smaller sizes (I believe, under 3/4" dia.) have a standard of 1 1/4" of thread no matter how long they are. For example a 3/8" by 6" cap screw will still only have 1 1/4" of thread. So, you'll need to be sure the shank of the bolt is the proper length, so the threads don't bottom out in the blind hole before it's tight on the flange. Always clean out all holes with a #3 (bottoming) tap before putting in a screw.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

mearstrae
12-31-2013, 04:12 PM
oops !!!

SafeAirOne
12-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Here's how that bolt is described in the SIII Parts Catalogue from 1988:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3685/11676474755_8c462dba79_z.jpg

So it's the same as Gene posted. Not sure if he got his numbers from a catalogue for whichever series had the thinner hubs or not.

I Leak Oil
12-31-2013, 06:23 PM
As for cutting the bolts, stick the new one through the drive flange to see if any of the shoulder sticks out past the mounting surface. If not you can cut 1/8" off no problem. If it does then you can't use the bolts without other machining to them or the hub. Easier just to source new bolts I would imagine.

Perhaps someone here can send you some used but in good condition bolts?

ignotus
12-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Mark,

His signature indicates a Series 2(59) so I went with the Series 2/2a catalogue from 1964. However after all this time who knows what drive flanges he has............

gene

I Leak Oil
01-01-2014, 07:15 AM
1.59375 long per the catalogue? Well by eye I can tell the new ones he bought are .00005" too long!:p Seriously, where did they come up with that number?

Anyway, like I said earlier, I "think" the earlier flanges were thinner but can anyone confirm or dispell this? Thought I got that from comparing them off a couple of my old parts trucks but that was a long time ago now.

SafeAirOne
01-01-2014, 08:08 AM
1.59375 long per the catalogue?

It's the ever-popular 1 19/32 bolt. Must be pretty popular--they can't seem to keep them in stock at any of my local hardware stores.

:)

antichrist
01-01-2014, 05:27 PM
1.59375 long per the catalogue? Well by eye I can tell the new ones he bought are .00005" too long!:p Seriously, where did they come up with that number?Publications manager: "Hey, we need those measurements of all the fasteners."
Apprentice: "Right, I know, but I can't find a ruler to measure them."
Publications manager: "Well, I don't know....here, use this micrometer set."

I Leak Oil
01-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Pretty good apprentice if he can measure it accurately to 5 places. Must be a German!

jac04
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
willincalgary-
When you figure out what you need & how many you need, let me know & I'll get them in the mail. I have several different length brand new genuine drive flange bolts. Lengths I have are 1-3/8", 1.5" and 1-5/8". I have different thread lengths in some of the overall lengths as well.
-Jeff

willincalgary
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the discussion everybody. The drive flange from which the longer bolt came (the longer old bolt, not the new one) is different from all the others. It is round while the others are shaped to match the contours of the hub. I would measure the thickness of the two but the clutch failed in the truck and I couldn't get it home tonight. I will measure it when I next see it and report back.