PDA

View Full Version : Two Barrel Conversion for Series 2.25 Petrol Engine

Aspenwood110
01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
I am considering converting my Series III 2.25 petrol engine to a two barrel carburator. I am looking at installing a Pierce manifold with weber two barrel. The Pierce website currently has a conversion kit listed. I would like get feed back from any one who has done this conversion. What did you do with exhaust manifold? Do I need a new or different exhaust manifold? Did you get an increase in power? Is the system reliable?

bugeye88
01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I had a Weber 36 DGV on a series 111 also with a pierce manifold. It was necessary to fabricate a a cover for the carb heating chamber from the manifold as it was not used with Weber. This is necessary if you keep the stock exhaust and the Pierce intake manifold. I made the cover out of some steel stock and drilled it for the holes in the exhaust manifold that used to fix it to the stock intake manifold. Worked well with no leaks and allowed the use of the stock manifold. I also bought the Weber from Pierce and had them jet it for the altitude her in Park City. They were very helpful. The carb worked well, maybe a tad more power, a bit pricey for the package, but a bit less milage then my single barrel 34 ICT Weber I run on my series 2a now. The Rochester carb is also a consideration. I've used one and was pleased. Not as good milage as the 34ICT though. I am quite surprised how well the 34 ICT Webber works. I suggest to use a K+N filter for better air flow. The oil bath is better for really dirty conditions and you can switch back and forth quickly.

Motor On!
Rob
68 series 2a "Bug Eye"

antichrist
01-04-2014, 08:22 AM
I ran a Weber 32/36 DGV with the Pierce manifold and Clifford Reseach header until I converted to diesel.
I used the CR header because I didn't have good luck getting the OE exhaust to seal. I tried a piece of plate but that eventually warped and leaked. Tried brasing the plate on but the manifold eventually cracked.
My first CR header burned/rusted out because it wasn't coated. The second one I had ceramic coated by Jet Hot.

I keep saying I should sell my set up, but haven't gotten around to digging it out of the garage.

Aspenwood110
01-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the information. I am in a similar situation. My Series III is kept at an elevation of 9200 feet in Angel Fire New Mexico. Similar to Park City. There is just not much power at that elevation. I will try the K+N option.

Lndrvr109
01-13-2014, 06:58 PM
I've had a 32/36 weber on a pierce manifold and headers on my1968 2.25ltr 109 FFR since '96. (also running zeus timing gears rather than a chain) and have had no problems other than in very cold weather. When cold and damp (winter snow/rain) i get some fuel issues as i don't believe that there is enough heat provided to the carb with this set up given the pierce manifold and headers. Other than this one issue it has been a great set up

alaskantinbender
01-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Do any of you guys have any fuel economy info on the difference between single and 2 barrel set ups on the 2.25 gasser?

Jim

SafeAirOne
01-14-2014, 04:28 PM
TeriAnn's got a bunch of carb info on her site, though except for the Holley, I don't see much in the line of specific economy numbers:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm#carbs