PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Lifting...

jonnyrover
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
As i wait for the funds to come in for my rover (meaning saving my pocket change) i am hoping for some advice on upgrading suspension on my 96 disco. I want to lift the truck a couple of inches for some larger tires in the future and also plan on adding a steel winch/bull bar. My understanding is that i need to upgrade to a heavier duty shock system to handle the new bumper and that some of these aftermarket suspension systems will allow me some more height without modifying anything else.
Is this a job that i can do with minimal time and tools?

And how do people feel about the old emu system? I saw it and the bilstein system in the most recent RN magazine/catalogue. I was curious!:o

Buddy
06-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Well you have a lot of options when lifting your Disco. The most common ones are OME or RTE (RoverTym Engineering) but there is also scorpion racing, Equip 4x4, Big Blue springs and now also the Yellow Springs offered by RN I don't think they mention what brand they are but I'm about 99% certain they are Britpart springs. What you want really depends on what you're going to do and how you're going to use it. I would say in my opinion the two strongest reputations are either OME or RTE.

If you're going to use it predominantly as a trail rig I would recomend going with the RTE HD springs they offer them in 2", 3" and 5" lifts. If you're going to predominantly use it on the road with the occational light trail you might want to go with a MD spring. A 2" lift should go in without any real need for any other modifications except for converting your rotoflex to u-joint if you have one. It will handle a little worse on road though depending on how sensitive you are because the lift alters the castor angle. The higher of a lift you go with the more other stuff you will need.

As for as shocks again that depends on what you want to do. The Blingstons are supposed to be good shocks although I have no personal expirence with them. OME shocks also have a very good reputation. Price wise with 2" springs and either bilsteins should be under $600 for the kit. Unless you are buying something of lower grade then it should be considerably less then that.