PDA

View Full Version : Change back to positive earth?

johnny2rovers
01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Recently acquired my first Series vehicle. '65 IIA currently neg earth w/alternator. It has been suggested to return to pos earth w/generator. I am trying to get to original. Current wiring is junk, so whatever the change, money is not the issue, something has to be done.

i would like your feedback, neg w/alternator or pos w/generator, a '65 and a good specimen.

stomper
01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
What are you going to be using the vehicle for? Garage Queen, overland camping, joy rider? There is no real benefit to switching to positive earth except for originality if you are going for a concourse restoration that you won't be using. There is a reason people switch to negative earth, and an alternator.

I Leak Oil
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Trying to make the truck "original" would be the only reason I can see to switch back to that setup. You can live well with both setups but one just limits what you can do with the electrical system a little more. OK a lot more.....

luckyjoe
01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
You don't need positive earth to run a generator.

I Leak Oil
01-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Out of curiosity who, in general, suggested changing it back and did they say why? A '65 is by no means a rare truck and having a - earth, alternator system isn't going to change it's value unless it's a true museum type restoration.
As Tom pointed out you can still run a generator on - earth...but then it's still not original.

antichrist
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Yup, unless you're going for concours showing I can't think of a single reason to convert it back.
Ok, one reason, you like to remove a battery cable while the engine is running. That would be a reson to have a generator.

I'm also curious why the person said to covert it back to positive earth.

SafeAirOne
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Out of curiosity who, in general, suggested changing it back and did they say why?

I'm going to guess that it was a fella with a last name of Lucas. Something about his ancestors being masters of reliable vehicular power distribution and this negative-ground thing was just a passing fad. Kept muttering "They'll be back grandpa. They'll be back."

johnny2rovers
01-08-2014, 09:35 AM
I keep neckties too. They come back! I'll not say who, but a well known restorer. I just thought I would float it. Not going to do it.

flighht2k5
01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Yup, unless you're going for concours showing I can't think of a single reason to convert it back.
Ok, one reason, you like to remove a battery cable while the engine is running. That would be a reson to have a generator.

I'm also curious why the person said to covert it back to positive earth.

With an alternator you can take off a battery cable and the engine will still run.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

I Leak Oil
01-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I think generators are just far more tolerant of it than an alt., especially for any extended period of time.

JimCT
01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
over the road trucks that run up 100's of thousands of miles run alternators.

I think generators are just far more tolerant of it than an alt., especially for any extended period of time.

SafeAirOne
01-08-2014, 09:16 PM

He meant tolerant of suddenly removing all the electrical load by disconnecting the battery cable, a practice that can be harmful-to-deadly for alternators that don't have built-in load dump protection.

antichrist
01-09-2014, 04:45 AM
With an alternator you can take off a battery cable and the engine will still run.I didn't say it wouldn't run. At least until the alternator dies. So yes, you can remove it, but you have a high chance of frying the diodes. The alternator needs the battery to control the voltage. No battery and the voltage can spike to over 100v. That voltage is likely to fry the diodes, and other things on vehicles with computers.

I Leak Oil
01-09-2014, 04:55 AM

Without a battery connected???? What are you talking about?