PDA

View Full Version : Jaeger/Smith's Speedometer

gogo34
01-06-2014, 08:30 PM
After taking my broken speedo apart (out of my '66 SIIa), I discovered that the hairspring inside was broken and the reason why the needle was "pegged" to the backside of the stop peg. I've tried all of the traditional speedo repair shops (Nisonger, APT, etc.) but, nobody has any loose hairsprings for sale. At least, not that they want to sell me as a stand alone part. They want the full repair cost and I understand that.

I've also tried eBay, CL, etc. but, all I've found there have been either complete (costly) speedos or what appear to be similar speedos from other British vintage cars but, not of the same spec (tire size, diameter,etc.)

So, do any of you guys have a Speedo laying around that you'd be willing to sell? Depending on what's wrong with it, I could still use it, even if it's not currently working. I just need the tiny hairspring inside.

Thanks,

Al

ignotus
01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Al,
One needs to know the number on the front of the face, something like 1540, to be a replacement. That number coincides with the number of revolutions per mile. Unless someone just sends you the hairspring.........

gene

gogo34
01-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Al,
One needs to know the number on the front of the face, something like 1540, to be a replacement. That number coincides with the number of revolutions per mile. Unless someone just sends you the hairspring.........

gene
Yes, the number of RPMs is 1504, as printed on the face. I guess life would be too easy if someone just had a hairspring laying around.

darbsclt
01-08-2014, 07:55 AM
You might give these guys a try (if you haven't already)...

http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/

gogo34
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
You might give these guys a try (if you haven't already)...

http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/

Wow! These guys appear to carry hundreds of hairsprings. I've got an email into them so we'll see what they can do. Thanks for the lead.

Al

darbsclt
01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Wow!... Thanks for the lead.

Al

My pleasure... though I've never dealt with them myself, I've read glowing reviews of their expertise.
Good luck!

cgalpin
05-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Al, did you end up getting a hairspring from speedograph, and were you able to replace yours without issue?

If yes, did you by chance get a part number? Mine has become weak and the speedo reads really high now so I'd like to replace it.

tia,
charles