PDA

View Full Version : Series II bulkhead repair

DGG
01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone has the measurement between the two bulkhead to chassis mount holes. I want to make a jig and I can't measure accurately with the transmission in the way. Thank you. My workshop manual does not have that measurement.

LaneRover
01-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone has the measurement between the two bulkhead to chassis mount holes. I want to make a jig and I can't measure accurately with the transmission in the way. Thank you. My workshop manual does not have that measurement.

You either need giant calipers or get to know some of that Pythagoras' guys work.

I'd measure but am in the same boat as you . . .

o2batsea
01-10-2014, 01:49 PM
54.5 inches as I recall center to center
I do know that the distance from center to the outside of the chassis is 15.5 inches, so you can measure from the side of the chassis to the hole and add that to the result. So, (15.5 + X)*2=Distance between holes.

DGG
01-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the help.

SafeAirOne
01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the help.

Umm...You might want to verify that information...

Looking at the large coachbuilder's drawing for the 1962 109 on TeriAnn's site (linked below) the center of each bulkhead outrigger hole to the vehicle centerline appears to be 29.562", making the bulkhead outrigger hole-to-hole distance 59.124" (59 1/8").

As far as I know, bulkheads haven't changed any in that dimension over the years, but I don't know a whole lot about that, so take that for what it's worth.

Note that I haven't verified this by measuring anything, but you could easily measure your own hole-to-hole distance by hanging a plumb bob off the center of one of the outrigger holes and marking the bob's location on the garage floor, then do the same for the other outrigger hole and measure the distance between marks. That way obstacles (like the transmission) are irrelevant.

Link to TeriAnn's coachbuilder drawing:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/AcrobatFiles/109CoachbuildersDrawingLARGE.jpg

DGG
01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Umm...You might want to verify that information...

Looking at the large coachbuilder's drawing for the 1962 109 on TeriAnn's site (linked below) the center of each bulkhead outrigger hole to the vehicle centerline appears to be 29.562", making the bulkhead outrigger hole-to-hole distance 59.124" (59 1/8").

As far as I know, bulkheads haven't changed any in that dimension over the years, but I don't know very far so take that for what it's worth.

Note that I haven't verified this by measuring anything, but you could easily verify this by measuring the hole-to-hole distance by hanging a plumb bob off the center of one of the outrigger holes and marking the bob's location on the garage floor, then do the same for the other outrigger hole and measure the distance between marks. That way obstacles (like the transmission) are irrelevant.

Link to TeriAnn's coachbuilder drawing:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/AcrobatFiles/109CoachbuildersDrawingLARGE.jpg

Very nice Mark. I remember seeing that drawing, but couldn't remember where. That's a big help. I will do the plumb bob thing too to have a couple of reference measurements.

o2batsea
01-11-2014, 08:52 AM
There ya go!

I Leak Oil
01-11-2014, 09:23 AM
I believe there are chassis dimensions in the factory manual and/or the Haynes manual. Probably a little easier to read there.

SafeAirOne
01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
I believe there are chassis dimensions in the factory manual and/or the Haynes manual. Probably a little easier to read there.

There is, but it doesn't show that dimension, just the chassis alignment checkpoints.

TeriAnn's drawing is easy to read once you click on it to super-size it.

I Leak Oil
01-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Supersize it! Check!