PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary Light Spacing

transalpian
01-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Greetings all! In my ongoing attempts to make the world (or at least the part of the world in front of my Series III 88") a brighter place, I have procured a set of used Hella 4000FF Eurobeams with 100W bulbs. These are the Free Form lamps rather than the standard lamps with the patterned lenses. The FF lamps are not my first choice, but the price was right...

Anyway, I plan to mount these to my front bumper but am looking for input on the spacing of the lamps. Here are my options:

Narrow spaced:

http://imageshack.com/a/img836/2875/tiiz.jpg

and wide spaced:

http://imageshack.com/a/img27/7550/vbe1.jpg

Do others with more experience have any pros or cons to the two mounting options? These are driving lights and have the Hella Eurobeam pattern.

The narrow spacing uses an existing set of pilot holes in the bumper, it that makes any difference at all.

Also FYI, my headlights are IPF E code conversion units running 100W/130W Narva H4 bulbs. I have a SMS headlight wiring harness (with relays) and have converted to a GM alternator.

The Hellas will be mounted using the Hella wiring harness with fused relay.

Thanks in advance!!

I Leak Oil
01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
By driving lamp I assume you meant a wide, low beam as opposed to the pencil type beam. Being only a few inches different in spacing I doubt you will see much difference. Wider might give you better air flow to the radiator. Both positions are exposed to damage, road debris (I know first hand as my Hella's were torched by a piece of firewood that fell off a moving pickup). You would gain some benefit by moving them up toward the roof in terms of being less vulnerable and better use of the available lumens.

antichrist
01-21-2014, 11:54 AM
http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/download_file/-/view/664/

transalpian
01-21-2014, 12:15 PM
By driving lamp I assume you meant a wide, low beam as opposed to the pencil type beam. Being only a few inches different in spacing I doubt you will see much difference. Wider might give you better air flow to the radiator. Both positions are exposed to damage, road debris (I know first hand as my Hella's were torched by a piece of firewood that fell off a moving pickup). You would gain some benefit by moving them up toward the roof in terms of being less vulnerable and better use of the available lumens.

Yes kind of. The Eurobeam pattern is a hybrid light pattern that looks like this:

http://www.desertrat.com/admin/cgi-bin/images/R4000-HID-Euro-Beam-Pattern.jpg

I thought about rack mounting a couple years back, but was advised to mount them on the bumper to reduce glare and to maintain a semblance of legal compliance.

stomper
01-21-2014, 01:43 PM
As far as spacing, either would give you the same results. you are litterally only 6-12 inches in difference between the 2 locations. Now, ask yourself what you are using the vehicle for.

If you plan on using a winch, now, of in the future, your narrow lights will be in the way. If you are more likely to be towed by a winch, in a recovery, your wide light position will be in the way of the frame horns where you will need to hook the recovery rope. If you are just driving on the road, and never off road, I guess it doesn't make a difference.

siiirhd88
01-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Depending on your location, there could be requirements for minimum spacing and height above the road for your aux lamps. I know in Pa. only one set of non-factory lamps are allowed with specific mounting requirements, not that I really care.... There could also be limits on the wattage.....

Bob

Andrew IIA
01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
auxiliary lighting is for amateurs...... [did i say that out loud ?] ................

. i'm kidding .

SafeAirOne
01-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Unlike the vertical position of the lights, the horizontal position of the lights will make almost NO appreciable difference, I imagine.

As for VERTICAL positioning, lights mounted low, below the driver's eye line like that, are MUCH more disadvantageous than a high mounting position in off-road situations. The closer the off-road lights are to the ground, the longer the shadow cast ahead of you in uneven terrain.

In this example, I made both beams 30 degrees: The low-mounted light casts a LONG shadow compared to the high mount:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/12078112906_ff00e6ed23_z.jpg

transalpian
01-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Mark

Really nice drawing! Looking at the light pattern for these lights, it looks like the beams on these lamps are close to 45 degrees. Can you do a quick version of your drawing at 45 degrees? My concern is that the lights will hit the bonnet/spare tire.

Thanks!

TeriAnn
01-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Depending on your location, there could be requirements for minimum spacing and height above the road for your aux lamps. I know in Pa. only one set of non-factory lamps are allowed with specific mounting requirements, not that I really care.... There could also be limits on the wattage.....
Bob

It all has to do with state regulations. In California lights mounted above bonnet level are required to be covered when on public roads. It Arizona lights can be uncovered no matter where you mount them.

Mine (2 Euro beam, 2 fog) are tucked in on the underside of the roof rack well protected from damage, They are aimed so that there is very little light on a bonnet mounted spare.

A decade+ earlier picture back when I just had 2 lights showing the light location better.

I have my lights mounted with the fog lights on the outside pointed slightly diagonal to provide a wider light periphery and the euro beams pointed to the front for distance viewing. They are fed by a high amperage relay which is fed by a 40 AMP fuse