PDA

View Full Version : Progress photos and a few questions...

mrmurray
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Hello, happy Friday. I wanted to share a few photos of my Series IIa project, mostly fishing for ideas of other items I should address while the truck is disassembled. I bought the truck in E.Oregon (high elevation desert) and it is amazingly rust free. It was sold with an engine that was 'pulled from a running truck'. Turns out that the engine had low compression on two cylinders, and since I dont have anything better to do during winter in Oregon, I decided to rebuild the engine to stock specification.

While the engine is at the machine shop, I decided to sandblast, prime, and paint the frame and firewall using good-old rustoleum. The frame has no rust, so I thought it would make sense to preserve it as best as I can. While it was apart, I replaced most of the seals and gaskets on the transmission, pinion seals, refurbish the gas tank, new u-joints for the driveline, new brake lines (that was not fun), and a few wiring harnesses.

Photos are here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRbKn4X

I wanted to ask a few questions while I have your ear:

I wanted to keep the stock 15" wheels, can anyone recommend a tire size that is commonly available to fit these wheels? Also, should I run tube tires or tubeless? The vehicle will see mostly city driving with occasional light off-road use.

For the tail lights, I never had the lenses, and so I dont know if the brake lamp (red) goes on the top or bottom (with the orange turn lens in the alternate position)? I could trace the wires, but I have seen both orientations in pictures of other SIIa trucks.

Should I worry about internal frame preservation, and if yes, is there an accepted method (Waxoyl?)

Thanks for all the information on this Forum, it is incredibly useful.

Cheers, Mike in Portland.

o2batsea
01-24-2014, 11:55 AM
While the engine is at the machine shop, I decided to sandblast, prime, and paint the frame and firewall using good-old rustoleum. The frame has no rust, so I thought it would make sense to preserve it as best as I can. While it was apart, I replaced most of the seals and gaskets on the transmission, pinion seals, refurbish the gas tank, new u-joints for the driveline, new brake lines (that was not fun), and a few wiring harnesses.

Photos are here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRbKn4X

I wanted to ask a few questions while I have your ear:

I wanted to keep the stock 15" wheels, can anyone recommend a tire size that is commonly available to fit these wheels? Also, should I run tube tires or tubeless? The vehicle will see mostly city driving with occasional light off-road use.

First, go to http://www.lrfaq.org/index.html, and look around. Many of your questions will be answered there. Yes, you can run tubeless tires on your riveted rims. If you are worried, dab some paint around the rivet heads before mounting tires. Those rivets are put in red hot and draw the metal parts together as they cool. 15 inch is a very popular wheel size for jeep, consequently there are up to 44" tires made for 15 inch wheels. The biggest outer diameter that you really want is about 33, but they may rub on full squidge, so there you go.

For the tail lights, I never had the lenses, and so I dont know if the brake lamp (red) goes on the top or bottom (with the orange turn lens in the alternate position)? I could trace the wires, but I have seen both orientations in pictures of other SIIa trucks.

From an earlier post I wrote today:
The front marker and turn signal lights are Lucas L488 and L594 respectively. On my truck the glass is clear on both. For the turn signals I have amber bulbs. Both lamps use the same chrome retainer ring. The marker lamp is inner and the turn signal is outer. Reproduction units are available from triple-c.com in clear amber and red for both as well as the steel holder, the rubber base and the chrome ring.
The rear lamp assemblies are Lucas L691 and L692. The 691 is a single filament bulb unit for the turn signal and gets an amber lens. The 692 lamp is dual filament stop/marker and has a red lens. I have a couple OE ones that I have gotten from ebay.co.uk. There are reproduction ones available as they were used on some Brit cars of the time, notably the AC Cobra and the big Healy. They just don't say Lucas on them. I just do a search for "Lucas lamp" on ebay uk and have had good luck finding what I need.

Should I worry about internal frame preservation, and if yes, is there an accepted method (Waxoyl?)

Yes. You can make up some redneck Waxoyl by melting parrafin wax in diesel and spraying that inside the frame rails (after it cools off of course!) But in the long run only dry climate or galvanizing is the answer. To my mind, adding glop inside the frame is a waste of time as you just can't hit every square inch.

Have fun with your build.

TedW
01-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes. You can make up some redneck Waxoyl by melting parrafin wax in diesel and spraying that inside the frame rails (after it cools off of course!) But in the long run only dry climate or galvanizing is the answer. To my mind, adding glop inside the frame is a waste of time as you just can't hit every square inch.

Have fun with your build.

I agree with o2batsea that galvanizing is ideal.

That said, I have had very good luck with Fluid Film - available at many NAPA stores and elsewhere. It is lanolin (wool oil) based and is extremely effective (it is commonly used here on the Atlantic coast for marine purposes), especially inside the frame rails. You can pick up a low-cost rustproofing spray kit for your compressor (which I assume you own) and reach everywhere in your frame. You can also get inside your bulkhead through the door hinge holes.

It is easy to apply and clean up, and relatively inexpensive. It works great here in Maine, where we have salt on the roads, and salt in the air. I applied it to my original frame, and after 23 years I have had no rot.

Just my $0.02.

Ted

Opabob
01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
The front looks interesting. The wings appear to have holes for head lights. Wonder what the year and vin might be for this truck?
edit: ah ic the vin.

o2batsea
01-24-2014, 03:20 PM
According to the FAQ, it is a sometime-in-1966. Specific info in this VIN is not present. So, no it's not a headlights in the wings truck.

mrmurray
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
I believe someone replaced the stock fenders for that once popular 4-headlamp look. I've since removed the headlamp panels and replaced with some original non-headlamp panels.

I'm having trouble finding the tire info on the FAQ, but I'm sure it is there somewhere.
Thanks!

siii8873
01-24-2014, 07:02 PM
looks like bugeye fender fronts. Did you save the fronts, I'd be interested in them if in decent shape like in photo. The ambers go on the bottom.

Revtor
01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
True bugeye fender fronts have the indicator lights mounted vertically. So these look to be "custom".
~Steve