PDA

View Full Version : Series III Fuel question

bchene
01-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Troubleshooting a starting issue (it won't). Noticed plugs 2 and 3 are very wet with fuel. Plugs 1and 4 completely dry. Before I dig deeper anyone have an idea why two plugs wet, two plugs dry. Maybe I can zero in to the issue quickly with your input.

I Leak Oil
01-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Hmm...only two things I can think of is either you aren't getting a good spark to them or the carb is pouring gas into the intake. Since 2-3 is basically right there they are taking in most of it.

jac04
01-26-2014, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't worry about it right now. It could just be because it isn't starting, and fuel may not be making it to the cylinders furthest from the carb. The wet plugs indicate you're getting fuel, so I would move on to checking for spark next.

Edit: Looks like Jason & I were typing at the same time.

bchene
01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Spark to the plugs, and new plugs installed. Still same symptoms. Will not even kick with starting fluid. Could it be a head or intake gasket? Valve or compression problem?

jac04
01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Typically you are going to get some sort of 'pop' with starting fluid, even if your compression is bad. Are you sure your spark is strong? I recently had a Pertronix coil go bad on me. It died on me while driving & I couldn't re-start the vehicle. Plugs were wet with fuel. I checked for spark and saw spark - figured something else was wrong. My brother-in-law said "that's not enough spark - change the coil". I had a spare Genuine coil with me, so I changed the coil & off I went. The spark with the new coil was way stronger than the bad coil.

stomper
01-27-2014, 06:04 AM
Also, did you check for spark at the actual plug? I've had excellent spark at the points in the distributor, but a broken rotor cause the Rover to die on the side of the road and fail to re-start.

With wet plugs, it sounds like you need to source the electrical side more.

TedW
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Typically you are going to get some sort of 'pop' with starting fluid, even if your compression is bad. Are you sure your spark is strong? I recently had a Pertronix coil go bad on me. It died on me while driving & I couldn't re-start the vehicle. Plugs were wet with fuel. I checked for spark and saw spark - figured something else was wrong. My brother-in-law said "that's not enough spark - change the coil". I had a spare Genuine coil with me, so I changed the coil & off I went. The spark with the new coil was way stronger than the bad coil.

Ha! I just had the self-same problem: Truck wouldn't start, and when it did it would run super rough. Then it wouldn't catch at all. Turned out to be a failed Pertronix coil. When I reinstalled the 44 year-old Lucas coil that came on the truck it started right up.

jac04
01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Ha! I just had the self-same problem: ... a failed Pertronix coil.
A quick Google search indicates that we aren't the only ones!! Pass the word - stay away from Pertronix coils!!

TedW
01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
A quick Google search indicates that we aren't the only ones!! Pass the word - stay away from Pertronix coils!!

Good advice - I searched the Google and read the comments about Pertronix coil failures - lots of 'em, apparently. There was some speculation that the failures were most common with the oil filled coils. Mine that pooched was the epoxy model, so it appears that no one with a Pertronix coil is safe........

jac04
01-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Mine that pooched was the epoxy model, so it appears that no one with a Pertronix coil is safe........
Mine too!! We're 0 for 2.

TedW
01-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Mine too!! We're 0 for 2.

And we were both saved by the Prince of Darkness!