PDA

View Full Version : oil preasure

Zimbos
01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
hi guys , I have been running good oil preasure the last 3 months until last week , it has good preasure at low speeds and idle around 50 on the guage , when I speed up it drops to 0 any thoughts , not to savvy with oil pumps
thank you gareth dallas texas

stomper
01-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Is it a mechanical oil pressure gauge? Is it leaking oil? Could be a delaminating hose that is blocking the oil at higher pressures. It might be worth picking up an aftermarket gauge and seeing if you are getting appropriate readings to confirm if it is a true oil pressure drop, or just a bad reading.

Does the low oil light come on when the gauge reads zero pressure?

Zimbos
01-30-2014, 10:58 AM
I have never seen a oil light on where is the hose , do I have to drop the pan . it leaks from the crankshaft seal not too bad though should I not be driving it

stomper
01-30-2014, 11:52 AM
If it is a mechanical fuel gauge, the hose will go from the back of the gauge, through the firewall, behind the engine, and will attatch to the oil filter assembly on the passenger side of the engine. If it is leaking behind the engine, it may look like it is a rear main seal leak, as it will drip onto the top of the bell housing, and down the side to the floor in the almost exact location as the rear main seal would.

The original oil feed hose was a steel armored hose that has a rubber inside. They can perish, and are NLA. Having a new line made up is debatable, as the fittings on the ends of the hose are not readily available,

If your oil light is not coming on, I would suspect you still do have oil pressure, and you can drive it. I would just make sure you do indeed have pressure. Either hook a new aftermarket gauge up to the fitting by the oil filter and take a reading, or perhaps there is another way to ensure the pressure that someone else will chime in with.

You will need to drop the pan if you change the oil pump, but not to diagnose what I have outlined here. It just doesn't sound like an oil pump to me if you have pressure at idle, but it drops to zero when you hit the throttle. A pump would likely reach the other way around. No pressure at idle, and then some pressure with higher RPM.

I Leak Oil
01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Does it have enough oil in it?

TedW
01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
hi guys , I have been running good oil preasure the last 3 months until last week , it has good preasure at low speeds and idle around 50 on the guage , when I speed up it drops to 0 any thoughts , not to savvy with oil pumps
thank you gareth dallas texas

To add to Stomper's comments: Do you have a Series III? If so, you probably have the original gauge with the electric sending unit that is prone to failure after a while. The sender looks like a small flat can coming off the top of the oil filter housing.

Just a thought.

Zimbos
01-30-2014, 05:22 PM
guys thanks for all the input , after searching all the auto stores in my county the only electric one I found was top dollar but I came with a sending unit ,after a little mod put it all in and shes reading just shy of 50 , I am glad I didn't drop the pan and waist my new oil , stay thirsty my friends

cedryck
01-31-2014, 09:35 AM
I replaced the prone to failure Rover gauge with an aftermarket one from some generic auto store. I is a mechanical one with a copper pipe to the gauge, works well and looks kind of like one that might be found in the truck, I love keeping things original, but not when they don't work.

o2batsea
02-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Gaugeguys.com have all the Smith's gauge parts and senders. They are very helpful blokes.