PDA

View Full Version : Cold Amps

IIA
02-01-2014, 06:28 PM
During the recent polar freeze, I noticed that my heater fan won't start until the engine's been running for a while (much longer than needed to warm-up the engine) and the turn signal light (inside) flashes a lot slower than usual. Over-reving seems to help both. I'd assume it was my battery but I have no trouble starting. What could be causing this? I assume it's the cold by why?

Thanks

SafeAirOne
02-01-2014, 08:08 PM
What was your battery voltage during all this? What was your alternator (or generator) output voltage during this situation?

IIA
02-01-2014, 09:08 PM
What was your battery voltage during all this? What was your alternator (or generator) output voltage during this situation?

The dashboard ammeter was normal. I didn't check it with a multimeter. The headlights worked too, though they got brighter with reving.

I Leak Oil
02-02-2014, 06:26 AM
Alternator?

antichrist
02-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Well...one theory is that during really cold weather the electrons in the copper molecules of the wire are afraid move house and go next door. It takes them a while to get up the courage.

An alternative theory, and the one I prefer, is that your alternator isn't putting out good voltage at low rpm. Or you have faulty connections in the wiring.
It's possible the heater motor is a separate issue and the motor is gummed up and takes a while to free up.

o2batsea
02-02-2014, 07:54 AM
how old is your battery? Alternator or generator?