PDA

View Full Version : Bikini Top?

REDrum
02-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Anyone have any real life experience living with a bikini top on a Series truck? If so please share. I am vacillating between buying a bikini or surrey top for my S2A.

SafeAirOne
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Spent all summer with a few different bikini tops on my 109--At least when I wasn't topless/windshield folded.

Loved the ability to reconfigure in 120 seconds.

Is there any specific info you seek?

Unfortunately I only have pics of this bikini top:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/8973102119_3705c8e8c5_z.jpg

[EDIT:]

On second thought, I guess that was the only bikini top I used. The rest of the time it was a couple of different pickup cabs with the back panels removed:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5450/7427742472_4d7807af76_z.jpg

siii8873
02-04-2014, 06:43 AM
mark, how it the pu top attached to the windscreen, snaps?

Escargo
02-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I thought about just doing a bikini top also, it's alot cheaper, no full set of hoops,etc. But with a full soft top, which i now have, it's much more versatile. Just like a long bikini with the doortops off and the sides & back rolled up but can be full buttoned up for bad weather. My softtop is as weatherproof as my hardtop, quieter too.
Hans

SafeAirOne
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
mark, how it the pu top attached to the windscreen, snaps?

Bob, it's just a bunch of elongated stainless eyelets with the factory soft top windshield 'fingers' through the holes. I have one pic that I would show you if Flickr.com wasn't broken at the moment.

Flicker is fixed. Here's a link to the only real clear pic of the eyelets, Bob. They're the same on the bikini top, as well as others (once the picture comes up, click on it to make it 100% size): http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/12310642416_3db1a4a1d1_h.jpg

Anyone have any real life experience living with a bikini top on a Series truck? If so please share. I am vacillating between buying a bikini or surrey top for my S2A.

Not sure what info you're looking for, but I've found that driving in the rain, the back of my head doesn't really get wet from rainwater swirling in from the open rear using either the open pickup cab or the bikini top, just in case you're thinking that the surrey top may give an advantage there.

Being six-foot three tall, I find that the rear extensions the bikini top provide sufficient shade so I don't get a back-of-the neck sunburn while driving.

I think that in all respects the surrey top and a bikini are the same except the surrey will provide some shade to the rear tub if the sun is very high in the sky and it'll provide the rear tub some shelter from the rain if you are parked and there's no wind.

REDrum
02-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Not sure what info you're looking for, but I've found that driving in the rain, the back of my head doesn't really get wet from rainwater swirling in from the open rear using either the open pickup cab or the bikini top, just in case you're thinking that the surrey top may give an advantage there.

Thanks, exactly the sort of info I am looking for. for ~300 bux its worth a shot with bikini top only. I just need some rain protection for driver and front passengers, none in rear. (but with a series truck I rainex both interior and exterior of windscreen....) My 2A will be pretty much be just for transporting surfboards/kayaks to the the beach. With a bikini top up front, it leaves the rear open and I will fab-up some stainless steel rear cross bars (same height and mounts where rear bows would go) This sort of rack system will be much easier for my 5'-2" wife to climb into the rear bed and lash boards to cross bars. Its a situation right now for my wife and our FZJ80 on 255/85s and 4" lift...

darbsclt
02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
For what it's worth, All Wheel Trim offers a top called the Bikini Cab; which is a combination soft cab and Bikini Top.
http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/series-2&3.html#Series-2&3

I plan on using this for the spring/summer. I like the option of having a canvas cab back (that can be rolled up when you simply want the bikini top).

SafeAirOne
02-04-2014, 06:26 PM
for ~300 bux its worth a shot with bikini top only.

$300 for a bikini top?? Holy cow...I should order some more canvas. A couple of bikini tops and I could fund my next semester of school.

REDrum
02-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going there, threw down on a khaki Exmoor bikini top yesterday. We'll see how it goes..... Now need to find matching material for my wife :)

stomper
02-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going there, threw down on a khaki Exmoor bikini top yesterday. We'll see how it goes..... Now need to find matching material for my wife :)

Check Vermont! I hear they have Carhart Speedos, Perhaps they make a string bikini top and thong for the women folk! (Shudder!):o