PDA

View Full Version : EAS won't engage access mode

ams1069
02-05-2014, 02:32 PM
I have a 1995 Range Rover classic that I am slowly rebuilding. When I purchased it it was in "soft fault" and would not engage access mode or high profile mode. A couple of months ago it entered hard fault mode and lowered the bump stops. I finally purchased the cable to reset the ECU. After clearing all of the codes the warning light is off and the system appears to work as it should except it will not enter access mode. With the vehicle in park, pressing the raise button enters high-profile mode, pressing the lower button engages standard mode pressing the lower button again does nothing.

Does the emergency brake have to be set to enter access mode? If so, it might be the sensor that indicates whether the emergency brake is set. If not does this sound like an ECU issue?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance

mearstrae
02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
It's been awhile since I fought with the air suspension. If I remember rightly it would only fully lower when the ignition was off, the unload mode. The E-brake had nothing to do with it. I had a few problems with the position sensors on the chassis being out of adjustment and having corroded connections. And finally, blew an air spring, having had enough, I put on the coil spring conversion.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

ams1069
02-06-2014, 02:15 PM
If I remember rightly it would only fully lower when the ignition was off, the unload mode.

I will try that. Thank you. How do you like your coil conversion? I know that eventually there will be one of those in my future.

mearstrae
02-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I changed over to the coils and gas shocks and never looked back(about 8 years ago). The EAS is kinda cool, one stops at the ice cream stand and watches as people stare at your vehicle lowering itself when you stop and again when you start it back up and raises itself to road height. Handy at the MAC machine dropping you to easily reach the key Pad, But, I think the coils are a bit more practical all round. And at the time I changed over it was cheaper than changing out the blown air spring.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

mearstrae
02-07-2014, 10:35 AM
My wife told me that occasionally the low position would only activate when the tailgate was lowered (unload mode). It's a thought...

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S