PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Pin O-Ring

NDNAJNS
02-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Greetings and happy Friday!

My 1965 IIA has some Series II swivel bits (early type - the steering arm is on top of the housing). I just reinstalled new swivel balls and was about to put the housing back on. When looking at the bottom pin that receives the bearing; it seems like it should have an o-ring. When I originally removed it, it did not have an o-ring.

Here's the set-up during a test fit:

Here's a shot of the bottom pin:

If it should have one, is the o-ring that's available online the correct size (not for later type pins & larger)? Part No. RNC267.

Thanks for your help!
-Chris

o2batsea
02-15-2014, 06:27 AM
Nope

darbsclt
02-15-2014, 06:56 AM
With the caveat that I'm no expert on this... I do love digging through parts diagrams.

I don't see any "O" rings listed in either the '61 or '72 parts catalogs... here are the pages from the '72.

NDNAJNS
02-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I didn't see it in the diagram either, but the shop manual (see above) shows it on the steering arm pin on the bottom. Doesn't seem like jointing compound would be enough to prevent swivel grease or 90wt from leaking out the bottom pin. But my lower pin - sans arm - doesn't have a recess seat for an o-ring. The top pin - with arm - does have the recess seat.

darbsclt
02-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Ahh... Interesting...

Evidently there is a distinction made between "Early Models" and "Late Models"... here is the relevant Parts diagram from the S3 catalog. It lists a part number for the O-Ring (531433) - which does seem to correspond to RNC267.

NDNAJNS
02-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Rolled down to Napa to see what kind of o-rings they had. Didn't have any 3/4" but recommended I went to Lowes. They had a ton of standard rubber o-rings in the plumbing department. Found one that looks like it was meant for the swivel pin (see pic).

I'm assuming these aren't resistant to oil/grease/lubrication...so is putting this simple plumber's rubber o-ring on for this application pointless (meaning it will deteriorate in a short period of time)?

Thanks again.

jac04
02-15-2014, 02:18 PM
The o-ring won't do you a bit of good where you have it. The ones that use an o-ring have an o-ring groove on the larger diameter to seal between the pin and the swivel housing (take a closer look at the manual page you posted and you'll see what I mean). The groove that you are thinking is a place for an o-ring is simply an undercut to eliminate a radius at the transition from one diameter to the next.

NDNAJNS
02-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for that! No o-ring required, it appears.

Yes, I see the groove on various pins (including my top pin with steering arm). I guess all I need is the jointing compound. Time to put this thing back together!

PS. Love your Lightweight. :cool: