PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start

Bschaed
02-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone. My buddy and I have been working on my 67 series II 2.25. She ran when we parked her but the starter was weak. We installed new starter, ignition coil, and a petronix ignition. The starter turns the motor. We have spark and fuel seems to be getting to the cylinders, but we can't get her to fire. Any ideas?

thanks
Ben

SafeAirOne
02-15-2014, 09:57 PM
If I owned a gas engine that "ran when parked" (presuming THAT wasn't 25 years ago), my "won't start" troubleshooting would include squirting some starting fluid down the carb then crank it to see if it briefly catches/runs. If so, it's a fuel delivery problem, if not it's likely an ignition problem

I Leak Oil
02-16-2014, 07:03 AM
A little more information might be required to help you with the issue.
Edit: Nevermind, when I first opened this thread there was nothing in the body of the message...Sorry...

dwooten1401
02-16-2014, 08:19 PM
In order for your engine to fire you need fuel and spark mixed at the correct time. Is it possible you somehow got the timing off when you installed the new ignition?

-- Doug Wooten / Wreckless Motorsports

dwooten1401
02-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Also, did you replace the coil when you installed the new ignitor? There have been many problems with the Pertronix coils producing weak spark. If so, go back to the old coil, it will work fine with your new ignitor.

--Doug Wooten / Wreckless Motorsports

I Leak Oil
02-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Yup, reset the static timing after installing the pertronix.
Also, have you tried some starting fluid or a little gas down the carb to see if it catches? This might lead you to it being a fuel issue or not.

Bschaed
02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
I have not set the static timing. I will do that this week and let you know if that works. We tried putting stating fluid in the carb to no effect. The spark test had a strong blue spark, I don't feel that is the issue.

Thanks for the help, Ill let you know how it goes.

-b

Update timing was way off. Set and she fired right up. Thanks for the help