PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe seats on non-sliding rails

mrmurray
02-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi again, I have non-sliding seat rails in my 67 SIIa 88". I would like to purchase the deluxe seats from RN, but I'm not sure if the deluxe seats can be installed on the non-adjusting rails?

Thanks!

darbsclt
02-20-2014, 05:21 PM
I ordered the deluxe seats on my non-sliding seat rails & I'm very happy with them.
They are comfortable and, being more firm than those they replaced, allow me to sit higher & thus offer better leg room.

Two notes, however...
- I did have to add a pair of wood strips on the bottom of the seats to keep them snug between the rails.
- Non sliding seat rails are supposed to have brackets at the ends; keeping the seat bottoms from sliding forward. Mine didn't have these brackets & I had to source some from the UK (£.99/ea).

Hope that helps...

cedryck
02-21-2014, 11:09 AM
I am in the market for a new interior. I love the elephant hide, but it is the most expensive, and my ex MOD would not likely have had that interior. I have a set of destroyed custom seats, (destroyed thanks to my two large and active terriers), and might purchase a new custom set, then no dogs in front,. Or,,I might go for the flat and military style basic set (which suits my checkbook as well) as this was probably what military cars came with,
My question is, are they better than what the originals were made from, that crappy press board looking stuff just breaks under the weight, and age or Rovers that are used, Thanks, cheers.

darbsclt
02-21-2014, 01:39 PM
... are they better than what the originals were made from, that crappy press board looking stuff just breaks under the weight, and age or Rovers that are used, Thanks, cheers.

Are my new deluxe seats as sturdy as the old originals that they replaced??
In a word... no.

That said... I don't think that the new seats are flimsy or poorly made - quite to the contrary - they just just don't have the heft or quality or the originals. Here are three examples...

Weight - My guess is that the originals weighed 1/3 more than the new ones. Whether accurate or not, I attribute this additional weight to better quality wood & materials.

Fittings - The originals used metal corner pieces... the new ones use plastic.

Staples vs. Clips - The original seats used upholstery clips to attach the fabric to the wood frame... the new ones use staples.

Again, I'm very happy with the new seats... and I feel that they will serve me well for many years. In fact, if I didn't have the old ones to compare them to... I wouldn't question their workmanship. It's just a shame that the fittings didn't remain the same... plastic isn't always progress.

Hopefully that helps...

mrmurray
02-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Thank you very much for the information, it is very helpful! Cheers, Mike