PDA

View Full Version : Starting...maybe yes, maybe no

ybt502r
02-20-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm looking for views on where to look next. I've a SIII that is giving hints that it's not going to start someday soon. When I turn the key, it is a guess as to what will happen next. Sometimes it turns over and starts. Sometimes nothing...(wait for it) and then it starts. Sometimes just nothing, then I'll turn the key back, try again, and it starts. Or some fashion thereof.

I have replaced the battery and the starter solenoid (working my way through the obvious). No change, and it seems to be slowly getting worse (happens more often, but still not every time). What next?

SafeAirOne
02-21-2014, 06:15 AM
When it is acting up, do the oil pressure and charge lamps stay illuminated when you turn the key to the start position? (they should).

When you turn the key and NOTHING happens, is it absolutely nothing (no click of the solenoid on the starter...nothing)?

If so, I'd check for 12v on the white with red tracer wire going from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter when you are attempting to crank the starter.

If you HAVE 12v, but the starter won't do anything, the starter is bad. if you DON'T have 12v and the starter isn't doing anything, the ignition switch is bad.

Either way, it's going to be a pain to get a voltmeter on that white/red wire. One end is buried in the instrument panel, the other end is on the starter motor.

My money is on a bad ignition switch, but you really should troubleshoot so you don't end up with a brand new rover.

Zimbos
02-21-2014, 06:32 AM
have you checked the ground cable from the starter to the frame , may be worth sanding the ends and tightening it up

Revtor
02-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds similar to my issues last fall, the randomness of it. Take some time as Mark says and try to test your way through the system. Mine was a worn out ign. switch.

let us know what you find out

~Steve

ybt502r
02-25-2014, 11:51 PM
A bit more to further confuse the issue - when cold, it works just about 100% (it's cold in the morning here in Anchorage). But after sitting in a heated underground garage during the day, it won't start/click/turn over about 100% of the time. Today it took me three tries with the key. I don't think it's the starter, and I've done the first two usual suspects, so I guess I'll go with the prevailing opinion and have a go at the ignition switch. Have to get one on order though.