PDA

View Full Version : Annual Maintenance Costs - Series III

rlalaw
02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
I love driving these cars but am not a mechanic and don't want to be.. Understanding the absurdity of this question and the many variables, would anyone offer an estimate on the annual cost to maintain an average condition 1980-ish Series III 88 with about 100k mi?? It has been maintaind, is mostly original, not much rust, structurally okay.
Would the main expense be ball joints, rusting body????
As a non-wealthy, non-mechanic guy, am I crazy to consider buying one??

rlalaw
02-21-2014, 05:05 PM
and if no one wants to guess, could you share what you spend??

mearstrae
02-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Regular maintenance isn't more expensive than any other SUV. But these aren't Honda Accords, I'd recommend that anyone who wants a Series truck should be willing to learn some basic mechanics. There are mechanics out there willing to work on these, but not that many (as with many old cars, some mechanics don't feel comfortable working on them), and having work done for you increases the cost of running one of these. Last year all mine cost me were a few oil changes and a headlight bulb. Now, the year before it cost me an exhaust system, brake job, master cylinder, and a clutch, as well as a change of all diff and trans fluids, all work done by myself at a great savings.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Zimbos
02-22-2014, 07:21 AM
after purchasing mine , I have become a you tube mechanic , it will save you a ton if you can do it your self , I don't speak for everyone but landrovers 30 to 50 years old always have something going wrong ,but don't get stressed about it ,its the nature of the game of ownership. if you had to pay for all these little things it would be costly , stay thirsty my friends

I Leak Oil
02-22-2014, 08:18 AM
You're not a mechanic and don't want to be then you will need to be wealthy to pay someone to fix it for you. That's the reality. It's an old vehicle of an even older design, it will need attention.

If not being a mechanic, not wanting to be one, not wealthy (that's subjective) is your M.O. then perhaps this isn't the marque for you.

SafeAirOne
02-22-2014, 08:30 AM
I hate to be a downer, but using a 30-60 year old vehicle on a regular basis is going to be maintenance-intensive. You either need to: A) know (learn) how to do the work yourself or B) be able to afford to pay someone else to do it. I don't think statistical data will help you here--a very simple and not-terribly-uncommon blown head gasket will set you back one afternoon + $30 if you do it yourself or $500 if you have someone else do it, but it is a "major" maintenance task.

There are plenty of example of option "C" out there--derelict rovers sitting in back yards all across the fruited plain--because the owners didn't choose either option "A" or "B".

I see Jason beat me to posting this tidbit of advise

rlalaw
02-22-2014, 11:13 AM
thanks for all of the good perspective an input. Another address to take a ring, I've had some boats over my lifetime and had to play with outboards as well as Crusader and diesel in boards, I like the reference to YouTube mechanic. That might be my route.end of the day, for the money I would spend on a Jeep Wrangler, I should be able to get something someone reliable

I Leak Oil
02-22-2014, 09:57 PM
thanks for all of the good perspective an input. Another address to take a ring, I've had some boats over my lifetime and had to play with outboards as well as Crusader and diesel in boards, I like the reference to YouTube mechanic. That might be my route.end of the day, for the money I would spend on a Jeep Wrangler, I should be able to get something someone reliable

What?????

stomper
02-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Um, I hate to burst your bubble, but have you ever driven a series rover? It is absolutely nothing like a Jeep Wrangler. It's not even like an old Cj5. These things are slow, they are rough riding, they are cold in the winter, wet in the rain, and Hot in the summer. People melt their shoes to the floor from the exhaust heat. They break axles, they require maintenance every 3,000miles per the owners manual, they have a boxed frame which rusts if not addressed. And require a lot of modifications to be a reliable driver. Alternator conversions. Pertronic conversions, headlight conversions, seat belts were absent in earlier models, and should be installed.

If you are comparing it to a wrangler, you better do some more homework.

ivan
02-23-2014, 08:27 AM
you got it right but it's a illness that once you catch you can't cure

I have 4 109's now one driver,3for parts so i won't run out,it's a hobby and lots of fun ,continued education

ivan

Contractor
02-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Solid advice above.............I am relatively new to Series ownership and can attest to the fact it's an expensive hobby.

I would say you really should have an interest in figuring some of the maintenance and repair items yourself rather than rely on a mechanic. There are some great resources out there and the folks on these boards are very helpful. If you can't at least check and top off transfer case, gearbox, overdrive and engine oil you are going to get your lunch eaten by a mechanic. These are things that in my opinion need to be checked every two to three weeks or at least until you figure out just how much they leak.

It's fun and addictive, but know what you are getting into................it's not even comparable to a Wrangler.........I also doubt seriously that you can get a "reliable" Series for similar money (Series being considerably more).

Good Luck.

elmateorino
02-23-2014, 03:06 PM
I can also personally attest to the expense of having a Series. Since I bought mine last fall, its been in the shop twice (3 months total) for a complete brake line installation from master cylinder to lines to drums, and shredded rear differential. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but for some things, I am just to inexperienced to dive into without "adult supervision". ;) That being said, after this last time with mechanic, I am definitely going to start trying things myself, even if I have to redo it a couple of times. I plan on owning my rover and possibly more for a long long time, so doing my own work is a must.

What is some good literature and how to's for maintenance and repair other than the Workshop Guide?

cedryck
02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
I suppose I could pipe in on this one,,,
Having never built a car before, 15 years ago I purchased a hammered 2a 65 ex mod. Car started, drove, and braked, barely. Bought it with the intentions of rebuilding. Never did a car before, and with the information from the green bibles, friends, and this web site, now have a functional, driving, off roading series 2a that I am proud of. My point is, with a little mechanical ability, and the desire, and the Right information, one can maintain this car for years of enjoyment. I am not the type of person who likes to take our two volvo cars in for brakes, oil changes, tune ups, but found myself using a local mechanic for some Long involved Volvo repairs, never a Rover repair, unless I am having tires mounted. I really think that in order to drive this car, either daily or weekly, the owner better know how to adjust and change points, top up fluids, fix the broken half shaft, and other repairs and regular upkeep. I know people who have other people do their work, but the are always unhappy when the truck is gone, or they get the bill. If you are going to love, Drive these cars, your really should be prepared to work, and wrench on them. Besides these care are a great excuse to get together with your mates, swap stories, drink beer, and trade Rover parts. Our lovely hosts will help you with information as well, and get the books. Cheers and enjoy.

sleam
02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
I grew up with these in England and now live in the States when a friend of mine offered me a 72 SIII RHD and I grabbed it. The first year the brakes went out, the clutch slipped and tons of odds and ends. The bible is dirty, stained and much used. I've fixed all the smaller stuff, the gauges, lights, tune ups, oils, etc on my own. The clutch cylinders were replaced by me but with a good friend and Landie owner mechanic who talked me through it step by step. We've also replaced most of the cooling system. I guess I'm learning that I can do much of this but not all, partly because I don't have a garage or the tools for bigger jobs. I'm okay with fixing what I can and asking (paying) for help when it's too much.
I figure at some point so much will be newly replaced that I don't have to do as much. I hope!