PDA

View Full Version : Update on Preservation Work

rbbailey
02-28-2014, 03:02 PM
A lot of you have helped by answering my questions on here, thanks!

I've been trying to keep a blog of the work. And I think I might have a few posts to do now, here is the most recent: http://cracked-alvord.blogspot.com/

darbsclt
02-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Nice blog!... I always enjoy reading about other people's adventures.

Looking through the pictures on your blog; specifically the Portland All British Meet (2010)... I think that you must have parked next to the car that would become my "Gracie." I can just make out a Marine Blue S2A SWB that looks awfully familiar in a couple of pictures. At that time, she was owned by Bill Goggin. Perhaps you still remember him/the car from the meet??

rbbailey
02-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't know the name, but was that truck fully refurbished? We have a LOT of Rovers come to that show every year. It's great.

darbsclt
03-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I knew it was a long shot... but I thought I'd ask.
I never met Bill. Sadly, he passed away in February 2011; not long after the Portland meet.
Afterwards, the car was stored until I purchased it from his estate just this past year.

Bill skillfully restored 85% of the car... so mechanically it was tip-top. I simply needed to address some paint issues and tweak the interior layout/cosmetics to suit my taste. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with it.

I regret that I never met Bill or learned the history of the car. From all accounts he was quite a character and true lover/collector of British vehicles. I've tried to reach out to anyone who might be familiar with the car's background before Bill... only to come up empty. I suppose I'll just have to be content with the history beginning with Bill and continuing on through me & my life.
(Here's a picture of Bill - In case it stirs any memories)