PDA

View Full Version : Rear Lighting Wiring Issues

AirmanPika
03-03-2014, 07:56 AM
So I'm slowly reassembling my 79 Santana Series III and one of the things I'm doing is cleaning up the rear wiring to reinstall the tail lights (they differ from standard rover tail lamps as they are all in one module with 3 lamps inside). It was an utter mess from one of the previous owners but now that I've taken it back down to the main harness I'm hitting problems.

I don't know how much my rover deviates from normal ones but the main harness seem to have 4 wires, a green/white that I thought was the right blinker, a green/reddish for the left blinker and then a blue that gets spliced and runs to each side, and a plain green that gets spliced and goes to each one (I assume one is for the brakes, and one is for the running lights).

There is a 5th wire independent of the main bundle that runs out of the chassis also but from what I can tell it wasn't connected to anything even before I cleaned everything up.

Unfortunately I get weird behavior that is making it difficult to narrow down what really is what. My turn signals work fine up front all the time, and assuming the rear tails are not connected by blinker indicators on the dash behave fine. Once the tails are connected though, I get all sorts of weirdness.

With the running lights off, the lower running light lights up in the cluster when I hit the brakes, but kicking on the turn signal causes the same bulb to blink on both sides and both indicator lights on the dash blink. Same result both directions.

Kick on the running lamps, and the brake light dims the lamp. Left turn signal causes both sides to blink still, right turn signal causes 2 bulbs on the left to blink, one on the right. The middle bulb dimly reddens the filament.

Sorry for the novel. Just figured I'd get as much info out there in the first post. Any thoughts?

jac04
03-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Make sure you have a good ground to each lamp. Bad grounds cause all sorts of weird issues.

o2batsea
03-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Yah, Santana is a completely different car company that happens to make vehicles that look a lot like Land Rovers.
I'm going to guess here and say the plain green is running lights, green white and green red are directionals and the blue is brake.
There may also be wiring for rear fogs and trailer shyte.

AirmanPika
03-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Well it turns out the issue was simpler than I thought. I actually wired everything up right (though the brake and turn signal wires were backwards). The problem was that the lens itself was integral to ensuring a proper connection. It presses the ground plate into position which otherwise comes loose and causes the issues I experienced. Once I installed the lens I got 100% functionality.

SafeAirOne
03-16-2014, 09:45 AM
http://www.mangoorange.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/easy-button.jpg